Saturday, September 26, 2009

Going...GOREN...Gone

I began my day yesterday as I usually do; i.e., I dragged myself begrudgingly out of bed and got ready for work. I typically have several minutes to spare before I absolutely, positively have to leave for the office after I complete my morning ablutions, and yesterday was no different. So, I switched on the old laptop and started my usual surfing "routine" which eventually led me to Eliza's blog where I read the following "ominous" comment, "...I finished this morning and thought I should celebrate, then I read "The Cat" and changed my mind..."

Quite naturally, my curiosity...not unlike that of a cat's...was piqued. So, I took myself over to Tess & Diane's blog where I was acquainted with the heart wrenching news (perhaps that is a "touch" melodramatic...so sue me...but that is how I feel) that Vincent D'Onofrio will be "exiting" Law & Order CI sometime during the upcoming ninth season. Not only that, but Kathryn Erbe and Eric Bogosian will be "phased-out" as well.

To quote my all time favorite detective, "I should've seen it comin."

Well, to be honest, I cannot say that I was truly "surprised" with the news. After all, ever since the end of Season 7, USA has treated LOCI...and its devoted fans...like they were bastard stepchildren at a family reunion.

By the time I arrived at work, I felt like someone close to me had died and I was beginning to go through the five stages of grief. You know...denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance. The only thing is, how can one "deny" the news that has been posted on virtually every VDO blog around the world and arrived in my email via "numerous" VDO Google Alerts?

As for anger, I’m more “numb” than angry…for the time being. And bargaining? Exactly, how does one “bargain” with a faceless, heartless, brainless, dickless conglomerate? That brings us to “depression,” but since I pretty much reside in that zip code 24/7, I’ll just add this to an already exceptionally long list of things that depress me. And as for "acceptance," well, I'll accept it when they pry Bobby from my cold, dead fingers.

The thing that bothers me the most is it “appears” as if this was a USA Network-driven decision…not the actors. USA wants a “lighter” fare and Detective Goren apparently comes off as too brooding for their delicate, discerning palates. Well, la-di-da, la-di-da, la la!

I did not feel up to writing a post for my blog last night, but I did look up an email address for the USA Network, so I could vent my spleen on them. This is what I emailed to them.

“First, let me begin by stating that I realize I am in an age group whose opinion means absolutely nothing to you, but I just wanted to let you know that as soon as Vincent D'Onofrio exits Law & Order CI, so will I. I understand shows come and go, and actors come and go, but Vincent D'Onofrio IS Criminal Intent. The myriad Internet articles I read today all imply that the decision for VDO, Erbe, and Bogosian to leave the show was Network-generated because you want Criminal Intent to be "lighter" and that can be accomplished with a less "brooding" Goren. Let me just say, I have watched "Burn Notice" from the beginning and love it. I enjoy "Royal Pains" immensely. "Monk" was okay for an occasional look. I have no time for puling adolescents like the ones depicted on "Psych," and I can take or leave "In Plain Sight"...mostly leave. My point is, you've got enough "light" fare on your network. If I want comedy, I’ll watch a sitcom or the Comedy Channel. LOCI is a CRIME DRAMA, so why are you messing with it? I watched the Logan and Nichols episodes ONLY because I wanted to do my part to keep the show’s ratings UP, so the show would not be canceled. Now, I no longer care. Vincent D'Onofrio created one of the most thoroughly complex and completely watchable detectives to ever grace the television screen in Detective Robert Goren. Shame on you for throwing away such an incredible talent. Shame on you!

By the way, as much as I love “Burn Notice” and “Royal Pains,” I’ll be deleting the USA Network from my channel listings after the last Goren/Eames episode airs, so I won’t be watching them anymore either. What a disappointment you are to “loyal” LOCI fans around the world.”

Now, you and I both know that the only purpose this served was for me to let off some steam and get it off my aging, sagging chest, but at least I felt a wee bit better after I sent it. I should have added, “Detective Robert Goren, Detective Alexandra Eames, and Captain Danny Ross…three “characters” who are no longer “welcome” on the USA Network." Ah, well. That can go into today’s email. I plan to send a few more before Season 9 begins. The link for the USA feedback can be found here.

You know, I understand that Vincent D’Onofrio has stayed with the show far longer than he ever intended. From reading articles and such, I know that he has other endeavors he wants to pursue. I get that, I “respect” that and him for his integrity and unwavering loyalty to the show and to the character. That’s my dilemma. I am going to miss “Bobby” so much. I’m going to miss watching him and thinking about him and worrying about him and writing about him and analyzing/anticipating his every movement. No character before him or after him will ever affect me the way this “man” does/has.

With the arrival of each new Google Alert yesterday, more tidbits of information surrounding the disheartening news were released. For example, it turns out that Bobby will say good-bye in the show’s two-part Season 9 premiere, at which time he’ll pass the baton to Jeff Goldblum. Don’t know about you, but I’ve got a suggestion as to precisely “where” Goldblum can stick that baton when he accepts it.

So, I only get me some Bobby for one episode. That’s disappointing …to say the least.

Late yesterday, Vincent D’Onofrio was quoted as saying, “For all my loyal CI fans, I wouldn’t be surprised if Goren pops up from time to time.” While that is somewhat encouraging news, I am hardly pacified. I mean, it is reassuring to know that…considering D’Onofrio’s penchant for dying on screen…they don’t plan on killing off Detective Goren.

On the other hand, I am curious as to what he means by “pops up from time to time.” I cannot fathom my Bobby being relegated to a “cameo” appearance. I don’t know about the rest of you, but my “appetite” for Bobby will not be sated with a few "crumbs" when I am accustomed to "feasting" at the banquet that is Detective Robert O. Goren.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very well said. I too sent an email to USA...I am sure they are falling on deaf ears, selective reading of emails. But, I did make it known that I will not be watching ANY shows or supporting any of the sponsors for the new LOCI.

I wish the actors all well and really hope no one is killed off in the first episode of season 9.

Eliza said...

I think your e-mail was very well written, better than the one I sent anyway!

I keep telling myself that Vincent is going to be happier now, having time to devote to other projects..but it doesn't make me feel any better :-(

Anonymous said...

I'm SO happy you 'allowed' comments on this one BobbyG :0) BRAVO on your post and you're email. As I've said elsewhere, I'm still on the emotional roller coaster I had no intention of boarding, climbing up the heights of fury, then whizzing down to the depths of despair that they're doing this to 'my' lovely Vincent. If it was his decision to 'exit' as they so carefully phrased it, I'd be sad, but I'd understand. Nothing I've read, or that Vincent has said has convinced me it's his decision at all, even when some clown at USA tries to claim the 'transition' (what transition would that be then?!!)idea was his. I don't doubt that Vincent is more than ready to move on, but to have his loyalty to the show virtually thrown back in his face because some 'suits' don't want to pay the going rate, AND for him to know that they've also used this excuse to oust the one he calls 'his sister' (Kate Erbe) must be deeply upsetting for him. I also appreciate that USA will take no notice of us at all, but I vented my spleen at their LOCI board, and via email. It momentarily made me feel better...before I got all upset again. When the show crashes and burns on Vincent's departure (and I can't even bear the thought of going back to watch Kate leave IF she stays beyond the opener of Season 9), perhaps USA will belatedly learn that LOCI=VDO and when he goes, so do we. I STILL hope he tells them where they can shove their offer of 'Guest appearances'. How bloody insulting to offer him 'guest' appearances on what his own damn show!

*steps down from soapbox, and reaches for the tissues; again*

BobbyG said...

Thanks to all for your comments. I just thought this post might be "comment worthy" so that is why I enabled the comment function for this one, Diane. I'm still digesting the information BASRIC posted on her blog yesterday before I compose my next email to the warthog faced buffoons at USA. Nothing against Jeff Goldblum; I think he is an okay actor, but when LOCI goes down the drain after they cast off VDO, perhaps they will realize they got what they paid for.

Anonymous said...

I do not want, the Bobby go. Which is that, without it CI will be no longer beautiful :-(((

Anonymous said...

I've nothing against Jeff Goldblum either - he's probably as appalled as the rest of us! - it's the manner of Vincent's (and Kate's - and Eric's) departure that's SO upsetting....and I'll bet USA will be stunned when the show tanks (shortly after Vincent leaves)