Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Was He Or Wasn't He...Cast Aside?

Well, I logged on this evening with the intentions of making a very different post. Then I went to VDO's sister's blog and found the following comment in response to a question Judith had posed regarding why Vincent, Kathryn, and Eric had been "pushed out" of Law & Order CI.

Elizabeth states, "Vincent wasn't pushed out of the show. He didn't renew his contract. You can see him quoted in many articles about him leaving that he had a great time building the character Goren, but it is now time to move on to other character opportunities. Of course, we all loved Goren and will miss him dearly, but keep watching the show and you might get surprised every so often."

Well, now don't that just make your brown eyes blue?

And don't I feel the perfect fool? Here I've been sending vitriolic emails all week long to people I wouldn't know if they walked up to me on the street and "bitch-slapped" me in defense of a man who...it appears...didn't need to be defended after all. Thank God, I didn't waste my money on sending a bunch of marshmallow fluff to the execs at USA. (I came this close, but I like to think my "momma didn't raise no fool," Yeah, yeah, I know...all evidence to the contrary.)

I have said all along, if this was Vincent D'Onofrio's decision...then so be it. I'd be disappointed. I'd moan and groan and complain and "whine" a whole lot, but life...such as it is...would go on. And now this? I don't know who or what to believe anymore. Didn't Vincent himself say that he would remain with the show as long as they wanted him? Ah, well.

I don't know. It still doesn't explain the shabby treatment of Kathryn Erbe and Eric Bogosian. Even if Vincent wanted out, why ditch Kathryn when she could "transition" to partner with Jeff Goldblum quite effortlessly? And what did Bogosian do besides have a few bad brillo-pad hair days? Why show them the door when Eames and Ross are still perfectly viable characters?

As for "keep watching and you might get surprised every so often," I think I'll take a pass on that, thank you very much. Dangling the promise of a Goren "carrot" simply will not wash this time. I got "suckered" in when D'Onofrio's imdb page listed him as a cast member in the final episode of Season 8. I would have watched it anyway (for reasons mentioned in the previous post) but I kept a vigilant eye glued to the screen in anticipation of a mere glimpse of that imposing figure, but it was all for naught.

The next day, "Revolution" disappeared from Vincent's imdb page to be replaced with "Alpha Dog." So, I'm thinking, "Yep, I got snookered but good." I'll go to my grave believing the USA Network did that on purpose to reel in all the hopelessly devoted VDO fans, hoping for a fleeting peek of their favorite detective, in order to boost Jeff Goldblum's ratings.

As the saying goes, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice..." Well, let's just say that ain't gonna happen, folks. I am officially done, done, and DONE with all this. So, "BITE ME" USA Network! Or better still, "pucker-up!"

To Vincent D'Onofrio, I say "thank you" for giving me something to live for and look forward to the past eight years. You have no idea just how much the incredible character you created in Robert Goren meant to this short, fat, ugly, curly-haired old woman in southwest Ohio. The "idea" of Bobby will live inside me till my dying day, and I wish you "ALL THE BEST" in all your future endeavors. God bless ya, darlin'.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw what EDO said, and thought her response sounded like it was straight from the USA-Boardroom-comments locker, but I still ain't heard VINCENT say, or express the simple words: 'My contract has ended, it's MY decision to leave'.

As you say, even if that was the case, why would that impact on Kate and Eric...unless they're like the 3 Musketeers, and wither goes one, they all go. I could certainly believe that of Vincent and Kate, after 8 years together. I've always thought if one of them left, the other wouldn't stay, but that doesn't explain Eric's departure.

I don't know what to think anymore either, but I'm still glad we've rattled USA's cage - rightly or wrongly, I think it's been done with the BEST of intentions - and maybe in some small way, we've let Vincent and Kate know how much they and the show mean to us.

Labs_n_SD said...

I feel the same way.

Even if Vincent did want to leave. Last Season already opened the door for Kate to work with Jeff, so why not just continue that. Something is still a little fishy here.

I also agree - no thanks on sticking around and watching the show or anything else on USA.

Labs_n_SD said...

I think the truth lies here ...

http://basric.blogspot.com/2009/09/loci-dish.html

And to me this doesn't sound like he "wanted" to leave.

Anonymous said...

I tried to comment on your twitter page about your change to Criminal Minds....that plays against SVU...good choice!! My mom says that show is great, I thought about starting a push for LOCI fans to watch it, USA is owned by NBC so it would be just another way to show them how we feel by boosting CBS's ratings on the night SVU plays.

:)

mauigirl said...

Something doesn't make sense to me, either. Although I have nothing new to add, my thought is EDO is trying to save face for her brother - which I can completely understand. But why have all 3 CI actors leaving, and in the same breath USA says it wants to "lighten things up". So, that sounds to me like they were pushed out.
Also, I'm sure it WAS VDO's choice to leave. They offer him less money, so he doesn't sign - his choice. Still sounds like being pushed out to me.