Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Success...FINALLY!!

I mentioned, a couple of posts back, that I had started the Atkins Diet a few weeks ago...July 3rd to be precise. Now, I have battled a serious weight problem "most" of my life. I have tried - virtually - every diet known to man...and then some...with varying degrees of success and/or failure - the ultimate result being...I eventually packed all the lost pounds back on...and then some. I'm not going to bore everyone with the details now. Suffice to say, I have "food" issues, okay?

Anyway, the only reason I decided to try dieting "one last time" is because of my knees...I've simply got to get some weight off of my knees. Then there are other potential health issues that are no doubt "looming" in the background, waiting to attack. The way I see it, I'm about one bacon-cheeseburger away from a heart attack or stroke, or one giant chocolate chip cookie away from testing positive for Diabetes; it runs in my family. But the main reason is my knees. I read somewhere that every pound a person loses translates into four pounds of pressure/stress off of the joints. I could get on board with that. Besides, it's just me...I'm all I've got here in Cincinnati, and I have to be able to take care of myself, and that is getting harder to do the older I get.

Anyway, I've been on this diet for five weeks now. I did not weigh myself before I started because...well, I don't own scales; I find them depressing. If I had scales, I would be weighing myself everyday...if not two or three times a day...and then be disappointed when I didn't drop a bunch of pounds overnight. (Not realistic, I know, but like I said, I've done this diet-thing once or twice now.) Then I would get discouraged, and it would be right back to the bacon cheeseburger and giant chocolate chip cookie. I decided to let my clothes be my gauge, or - better yet - when someone noticed I had dropped a few pounds and made a comment about it, then I would know.

I suppose I should mention that I told no one that I was starting a diet. I guess after years of trying and losing and gaining, and trying and losing and gaining some more influenced my decision. Of course, a couple of people have found out...mainly because they noticed I'm not pigging out on the leftover Danish and donuts in the break room, or that I'm ordering differently when we go out to lunch together. Like I said, if someone happens to notice I've dropped a few pounds and mentions it...that will be my reward.

So, here we are...five weeks later. I know I've lost weight; I can "feel" it. My clothes fit loser, parts of me don't "jiggle" quite as much as they did before. My knees still hurt, but I have noticed a slight improvement, and I am walking "better." But no one has said a word...no one has noticed...until today.

This afternoon, due to a minor mishap in the shower yesterday morning; i.e., I bent over to pick up the wash cloth I had dropped and threw out my lower back...AGAIN...for the upteenth time in the past 35 years, I had to schedule a trip to the chiropractor. Now, my chiropractor also happens to be my landlord who I have rented from since moving to Cincinnati 14 years ago. I had not seen her since May, so I figured this would be the "test" to see if I really am losing weight, or if it is merely wishful thinking on my part.

So, I am lying prostrate on one of the adjustment tables and Joyce lifts my sweater and adjusts the waistband on my jeans to "get at" the afflicted area. We're chitchatting amicably about this and that when all of a sudden, she says, "Have you lost weight? Because you sure look like you have." I tell ya, I could have kissed her, I was so overjoyed.

And the best part is, she commented on my weight loss "after" getting a good look at my big ol' butt, which - evidently - isn't quite as big as it used to be.

HAL-LE-LU-JAH
!!

I can stop obsessing about that "first" comment and get back to focusing on losing more weight. Now, if I could only figure out a way to make the "food dreams" go away; I have one almost every night. And I have an uneasy feeling that all the food I "eat" in the midst of those ravenous dreams has an evil way of winding up as extra pounds on my thighs.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Sometimes I swear I can feel me spreading out in all directions without me even trying to. Don't forget the old adage about 'seeing wood for trees'. It's usually people who DON'T see you too often that notice differences. Well done anyway :0)

ps; I'd suggest having Vincent dreams instead of food dreams, but you could wind up having dreams of naked Vincent covered in chocolate - then you'd have to empty the fridge 'comfort eating!'

fuzzytweetie said...

Congrats!!!!

I've had food issues all my life, too. I swear, I just have to look at something and I gain weight.

guiding light81 said...

Congratulations girl!
I recently started the Dukan Diet just about a month ago and I already lost 6 kilogram = 13 pounds

TJara said...

Food issues should probably the title of my memoirs...

So, Congrats! I know it's hard. Keep on going!

Eliza said...

Well done!!! I am supposedly on a low fat diet..but I fell off the wagon recently due to other things in my life..and I know damn well I've undone all the good already. Got to try again soon..but not til next week :-)

BobbyG said...

Diane, Oh, I know that the people who see me every day will most likely be the last to notice any weight loss. That's why it was nice when Joyce noticed...helps keep me motivated. It doesn't help that I continue to wear loose fitting, baggy clothes...that are starting to fit even more loosely. But I am not buying any new clothes for a while yet. Many, MANY more pounds still need to be lost before I make that investment.

As for Vincent dreams, actually I had two last week...back to back nights. It's funny, when I thought of him/Bobby all the time, he almost never, EVER appeared in my dreams. Now that I don't think of him as often, he's starting to make an appearance now and again. Go figure. I'm more interested in a naked, chocolate covered BOBBY showing up than Vincent, however. Call me stupid, Vincent is married, Bobby is not. Anyway, I can tell you right now, if a naked Bobby -- covered in any kind of food deigns to grace my dreams -- I shall be forced to say, "Damn the carbs, full speed ahead!!"

BobbyG said...

Hi Fuzzy! Thanks for dropping by and for the well wishes. It's been a lifelong saga...me & food. I know I'm not going to win the war, but I am trying to win a few battles. Let's just say SKINNY is an adjective no one will EVER use in reference to me. But if I can just get to the point where the pain in my knees and lower back ease enough to let me get out and actually ENJOY doing things again, that will be enough for me.

Hope all is well with you and yours.

BobbyG said...

Hi Guiding Light! Thank you, and congratulations yourself. As one of my friends at work says, "Losing weight has GOT to be the hardest thing in the world to do!" I'm not familiar with the Dukan Diet, but hope you stick with it and wish you continued success!!!!

BobbyG said...

Hi T'Jara! Now, how can "Food Issues" be the title of your memoirs when it's going to be the title of mine...LOL!! Thanks for the kind thoughts and hope all is well in your corner of the world.

BobbyG said...

Hi Eliza and thank you. I cannot begin to tell you the countless times I have fallen off the diet wagon in years past. Stress can be a real diet-killer, let me tell you. All it takes for me is one really bad day at work, and I'm ready to scarf down an entire pizza, a bag of cookies and a quart of Rocky Road (ice cream). I sincerely hope things quiet down for you and you climb back on that diet wagon soon. I'm rooting for you, as I am sure are LOTS of other fellow bloggers and friends "out there" in cyberspace.

ann said...

wooo hooo - way to go girl - i've tried 'em all - atkins and dukan (they are similar) left me feeling most unwell, but there is only one diet that truly works - WILLPOWER - which i resolutely lack - i really admire your strength and determination and once your back is better and your knees less painful, adding exercise, even just walking, to the regime will really up the antes - good luck xxx

BobbyG said...

Hi Ann! So far, I'm feeling pretty good on this diet. I learned a LONG time ago that 95% of my being successful on a diet is getting my "mind set" in the right place. I have to stay focused. I have to be obsessively fanatical about it. I read the latest Atkins book before I started, I visited the website, I created an Excel spreadsheet where I track my daily carb intake and keep a daily diet journal of sorts. Obsessive compulsive? Me? Yeah, a little bit. But I have to be in order for it to work for me; once I break over...I'm done. Like I said...it's pretty much a mind game with me.

Anyway, I know that exercise will be a key to continued success, and although I've never been a big fan - LOL - I am looking forward to being able to walk again. Thank you for the words of encouragement, Ann, and I hope all is well in your corner of the world.

Music Wench said...

Congratulations!!! I know how you feel. I've been through the weight loss/weight gain cycle my whole life. Unfortunately, when told by my doctor the yo-yo weight loss/weight gain was unhealthy so I needed to find a comfortable weight and stay there, I went for the higher weight because it was easier and 'comfortable' and I love food.

It is a lot of hard work and I know I should follow your example. I need to lose about 20-30 pounds I think. I'm never going to be 100 pounds again but I think I should look into healthier eating as a start. As I say this, I am about to get out cake and ice cream for Lilly's birthday. lol It's a belated celebration but at least she gets cake twice. :-)

Good luck with the continuing weight loss!

BobbyG said...

Hi Music Wench! Thank you for the encouragement. I don't think I will ever feel "comfortable" about my weight...even if I weighed 100 pounds...because the dread/fear of gaining it all back would be forever lurking in the back of my mind. I'm just trying to lessen the pressure/pain on my joints, so I can halfway enjoy life again. I have no illusions (or should that be "delusions") about EVER being skinny.

So, Happy Birthday Lilly...eat a piece of cake for me!! I miss reading about your girls, and your kitties and your take on politics on your blog. Hope all is good up there in Michigan!!