Sunday, September 11, 2011

Ten Years Ago Today

I am quite certain that most everyone knows what today is without finding a reminder of it here on my insignificant little blog, so I am not going to "dwell" on the fact that this is the ten year anniversary of another date in American and World History that will, in fact, live in infamy.  Three years ago, I posted a rather lengthy narrative about my thoughts on 9-11 entitled We Will Never Forget (which you may read by clicking on the link, if you are thus inclined), so I am not going to repeat those thoughts today.

For the past week or more, a host of TV channels have been running myriad reminders of that awful, awful day...to the point that I have grown an almost unnatural aversion to any mention of today's anniversary.  That is not to say that I have turned a cold heart toward remembrances of the events of that day; it's rather more like sensory overload.  I don't need visual reminders of the planes flying into the World Trade Center, or watch those towering structures tumble to the ground like so much kindling, or see people jump/fall to their deaths...I see those images whenever I close my eyes and think upon that day.

But there is another poignant image that comes to my mind whenever I remember September 11, 2001, one that I did not mention in my post of three years ago, but one that I have never forgotten...nor am I likely to.  During the days immediately following the attacks, like most people, I found myself glued to the television, watching... devouring...every tidbit of "breaking" news surrounding the events of that day.  As one of the news shows was signing off for the evening; either NBC or ABC, they played the following video of Americans Outside Buckingham Palace...



This video was uploaded to YouTube by Mikehooperz, and he posted the following narrative:  "The day after 9/11.  Stranded Americans congregate outside Buckingham Palace in London, England.  They can't go home because a no-fly order is in operation.  The Queen orders the Guards to play the Star Spangled Banner as a sign of the UK's sympathy for the USA.  Even Prince Andrew can be seen stood to attention. An astonishing departure from tradition, Brits are also moved to tears when this clip is televised."

Well, make no mistake, Brits were not the only ones who were moved to tears by this clip. I recall quite clearly my reaction when I first watched this profoundly moving and touching gesture, and again yesterday when I tracked down this video to include with this post...uncontrollable weeping and sobbing. I don't know, I suppose it was in some small way comforting to know that a country "steeped in tradition" and known for keeping a "stiff upper lip" could break with convention for a few moments in deference to their "chums"  across the pond, who were suffering the effects of a hellish maelstrom that would forever change them...and the world.

Good job, you!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hadn't seen this before - thank you for sharing - but then I was on a plane making my way to the States on that fateful day, heading for Charlotte, North Carolina, but with a flight plane that took us over Boston. We were diverted to New Brunswick, in Canada where we spent the next 3 days, so I was a Brit stuck on the OTHER side of the pond. Determined no scum-sucking terrorists were going to frighten us into 'submission', we went back to the States as soon as possible (Oct 3).When we got to US Immigration, the female officer saw the 9/11 stamp in my passport. 'You were here then?' she asked 'Yep' I confirmed 'Well, God Bless you for coming back again' she said, something I'll NEVER forget.

Oh and, the UK have had 9/11 programmes for the last couple of weeks too...... I think ONE would probably have been enough, given how 'raw' the emotions STILL are.

ann said...

that was indeed very moving

i have personally known young lives taken at the hands of suicide bombers and have supported victims of terror in my beloved israel - as we all watched in horror that day, i wondered if americans would now empathise and sympathise with victims of terror all over the world and not just those in their homeland - as hard as it is for the bereaved to relive that day, it must be even harder for survivors and their families, the psychological scars can be more difficult to heal than the physical - my heart and prayers go out to all who have suffered from terrorism

Music Wench said...

Well it made me cry, too. I remember that day vividly. Never saw this before so thanks for posting.