Tuesday, December 8, 2009

"Good Luck" Favorite Scene

I have never made a secret of the fact that I am not a huge fan of a good many of Vincent D'Onofrio's films. Often, the subject matter is not my particular cup of tea, or he doesn't play a very "likeable" character, or he has such a minuscule role it is hardly worth the effort to watch, or he...you know...dies. Be that as it may, even though I may not like the movie or the character he portrays, one thing is a given...VDO will "always" give 150 percent of himself and turn in one whale of a performance. He is the consummate actor.

Every now and then, however, one of VDO's movies will catch my eye and turns out to be a real "gem." "Good Luck" is one of those movies. I don't know what I was expecting the first time I watched it, but what I discovered was a funny, charming, witty and all-around "feel good" movie. I am not going to bore everyone with an in-depth analysis of a movie most of you have probably watched scores of times. I'm just going to say...if you have not seen this one...be sure to add it to your "must see" list of Vincent D'Onofrio films.

Now, there are several "noteworthy" scenes from this movie; i.e., the furniture throwing scene, the crabbing scene, the touch football scene...to name a few. But the most memorable scene...hands down...for me at any rate, is the "morning after" scene in the bathroom when Olee summons Lem to take a look at the...ahem... "deposit" he has just left in the bathroom bowl.

I "howled" with laughter the first time I saw this...and every time since. Then, after my laughter subsided, I realized how impressed I was with VDO's acting ability...not just in this truly hilarious scene...but the entire movie. It cannot be easy for a sighted person to play a blind character. But I have never in my life seen anyone behave with such uninhibited, unbridled "joy" over having, as Olee would say, "squeezed out a honey" of a bowel movement. Only Vincent D'Onofrio, folks...one hell of an actor.

And I would be remiss if I did not mention how well Gregory Hines and VDO acted together in this movie. "Good Luck" was a decidedly different kind of "buddy" movie, but it worked...beautifully. It is one I watch often, and I highly recommend it.

The Bathroom Scene - "Good Luck"

7 comments:

Eliza said...

:-D

This is such a brilliant, funny, film..I can watch it over and over.

I sometimes wish that maybe Ole hit his head in the raft race and got his sight restored, but that would have made it too twee even for me I think :-)

Anonymous said...

I agree with every word! I LOVED this movie and this scene! No, it's NOT easy for a sighted person to play blind, although many actors seem to think it is. As a person who has been around blind people all of my life, I can tell you that to do it accurately is VERY difficult. I have seen every movie with a blind character in it and I can ALWAYS tell the actor isn't blind, usually about 15 seconds in. (Even with Al Pacino, who btw SUCKED at it!) But with Vincent, I honestly couldn't tell! He gave an absolutely amazing, accurate and flawless performance! And that's coming from an expert.

Anonymous said...

This arrived on the morning my friend and I were going off on a trip to Italy, so NATURALLY, I had to take it - and the portable DVD player - with me. Can you imagine watching this for the very first time on a coach trip?!! We nearly wet ourselves laughing, but trying to do it too loudly. It's such a lovely movie; funny/touching in equal measure.

BASRIC said...

I do love this movie and I have everything he is in. ia just mark the section he's in andonlhy watch those parts.

judith said...

Yes a great film.I also liked 'Signs of Life'(1989)a good family film.x

drl59 said...

Good Luck is such a great, great movie. I love the scene in the bathroom - looking at his accomplishment!!! Oh, I just enjoyed watching him throw the furniture off the porch and how hot he made baggy sweatpants look...one of my favorite movies.

jazzy said...

Dear BobbyG, may be he doesn't play always likeable characters, but you have to admit that he's always lickable! LOL!

Okay, I'm in the minority here, I find this scene eeeeeew! Fave film anyway :)