Thursday, February 16, 2012

Maggie Smith...The Ultimate Dowager

Or a prime example of how old people can say - pretty much anything that pops into their heads - and get away with it.  I only recently discovered this splendid show on "Masterpiece Classics" at the beginning of the second season here in the States.  I was able to stream the first season through Netflix to get caught up, but I have to say that my initial impression was not all that...great.

I mean, I fell instantly in love with the costumes, the overall pageantry, and the scenery of the English countryside to be sure, but I was a little "put off" by the fact that I did not find many - if any - of the central characters even the least bit...likeable. Not even a little.  I continued to watch, however and, by the conclusion of the second episode, I had become hopelessly embroiled in the various character's lives.

My favorite character has become Violet Crawley, the Dowager Countess of Grantham.  She is played brilliantly, magnificently by the one and only Maggie Smith.  The following YouTube video captures a sampling of her outspoken moments.  Next to the swivel chair incident (which is included), my favorite "Violet moment" (which is not included) is when she informs the gathering at the dining room table (and I'm paraphrasing) that a young woman does not have "opinions" of her own...that she must  wait until she is married, and then her husband will tell her what her opinions should be.

Sadly, some people probably adhere to that sentiment even in this day and age.  I...happily...am not one of them.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm probably the only person in England who's never watched'Downton Abbey', but I'm afarid it did a 'House' on me; they trailered it to death before it started. In the end, I was so fed up with it, I couldn't bring myself to watch. I've still never seen one episode of either show ;0)

BobbyG said...

I understand, Diane. I just heard about "Downton Abbey" as the second season was starting here, so it was all new to me. I am one of those Americans who is fascinated by all things British. Well, all HISTORICAL things in any event. I think I may have been a Brit in a "previous" life. LOL

As for "House," I've seen enough of one episode (about 10 minutes worth) and trailers to know I wouldn't care for the show. Chiefly due to the main character's deplorable bedside manner. It's because of doctor's like that whom I've encountered in REAL life that I avoid them like the proverbial plague.

Anonymous said...

Funnily enough, because in my later years at school, 'history' consisted of having to learn about stuffy old Victorian politicians, I've spent most of my life since doing nothing but read history books! I LOVE history and have always got my head in one history book or another; which is why it's so strange I find 'Downton' such a turn off.

As for 'House', I remember Hugh Laurie as an English comedian. 'Nuff said ;0)

BobbyG said...

Well, Diane, besides VDO and Detective Goren, we have a LOVE of history in common. I majored in History in college. A lot of good it did me, but that was and always will be my first love. Couldn't get a job teaching it, so ended up writing five historical romance novels instead and got to do a lot of research that way. Got to see a lot of the U.S. as a result, and toured countless, musty-smelling, OLD houses as well. Loved every minute of it. My one regret is that I will never get to see firsthand the places in England that I've always longed to visit. Perhaps in my next life.

Anonymous said...

Never say never....! May our thirst for history never be quenched - which is quite unlikely in my case. I ALWAYS seem to be able to find ANOTHER book (and I like BOOKS, not digital stuff) on another subject I feel.... er...'undereducated' about, which is why my book cupboard groans under the weight of not just English history, but the American Civil War, the Romans, the Persians, the Greeks....

I had no idea you wrote; well done you :0)

BobbyG said...

I used to feel the same way you do about ACTUAL books vs. digital, however, as I've aged (as have my eyes) I found that I was no longer enjoying reading like I used to. So, last spring, I reluctantly bought a Kindle and I refound my joy of reading. I read more books last year than I did the last 10 years combined. Then, when Amazon came out with the Kindle Fire, well - for me - it's the greatest invention since sliced bread. I pre-ordered one the first day they became available. Granted, NOTHING will ever truly replace the "smell" and "feel" of a REAL leather bound book (and I still read them occasionally), but then I can't carry 170 leather bound books in my backpack, but I can (and do) with my Kindle Fire.

As for writing, my last book came out in March 1991, the same month my mother died. That is not why I stopped writing; I just got away from the discipline of writing and never found my way back. I tell everyone that the person who wrote those books doesn't exist anymore. Life has a tendency to wear one down, you know. Hope you have a wonderful week.

Anonymous said...

Life - and age! - does have a tendency to 'get in the way' sometimes..... You have a good week too :0)

judith said...

Husband thinks this is great but I'm not all that keen. I used to really love reading history but as I've got older I some how can't be bothered..lazy of me I know. Enjoyed those clips very much and to me Maggie Smith makes the show..

BobbyG said...

Hi Judith! Good to hear from you. I agree, Maggie Smith makes the show. Next season, Shirley MacClaine is supposed to join the cast as Mary's American grandmother. I can't wait for the scenes between her and Maggie Smith. Hope all is well with you.

judith said...

Yes thank you all is fine.
I've finished both my stories and done a number of 'Shorts.' and now it's time to put the 'Bobby Goren' character to bed so to speak. It has been fun writing about him. I can't wait for Vincent to do something new on the TV.

It sounds like fun the two grandmothers together..I bet 'sparks' fly..in a fun way for the viewer.