Sunday, October 19, 2008

Quoting "The Third Horseman"

This was a really good episode, I thought so at any rate. It certainly tackled a controversial topic and showed perspectives from both sides…pro-life and pro-choice. Regardless of where one weighs in on the issue, however, it is hard for me to wrap my brain around the fact that there are factions out there who believe it is okay to commit murder if it furthers their “cause” especially when they say they do so because God told them to do it.

I found it chilling when Dennis read from the Bible in preparation of committing his crime and then prayed for God to “steady” his hand and let His justice find its mark. Don’t know how anyone else feels on the subject, but the God in whom I put my faith and trust neither encourages nor assists in the commission of murder.

Finally, a wife who actually reacts to the death/murder of her husband. So many times on these shows, the relatives or loved ones do not come across as being all that distraught. The wife in this episode was very convincing.

Bobby’s, “Make sure you cover him up,” in reference to the body in deference to the wife and little girl was thoughtful. Goren and Eames don’t always come across as all that “in touch” with the feelings of the victim’s family because they are so wrapped-up in assessing the crime scene and gathering evidence and questioning everyone, so it was nice of Bobby to be respectful of the family.

I also like how Bobby is solicitous of the wife, reaching out to comfort her and try to keep her from becoming totally hysterical while they talk to her. And the picture of Eames, looking away when the woman breaks into uncontrollable, inconsolable sobs makes me wonder if she might have been thinking of her own murdered husband…now that we know she has a murdered husband.

The scene in the park is pretty cool as Bobby examines the area and kneels down in the dirt with absolutely no regard to his nice suit. I love to watch his brain work as he “profiles” the unsub; i.e., he was an experienced hunter or had military training.

One thing is certain…Bobby knows his weapons; he doesn’t miss a beat when he finds the rifle and spouts off the type and model. Loved it when he used the word “aught;” that isn’t a word one has the opportunity to say often and it sounded good coming from his lips. Yeah, I know…I’m weird.

Anyone else notice how Eames gets all the "snarky" lines? I mean, Bobby has his share of disdainful comments, but Eames is always saying something condescending like the “Ma & Pa Kettle” line. Sometimes it’s cute…sometimes it’s just downright rude. On a different note, I notice she is usually the first one through the door when they’re looking for a perp or happen upon a crime scene. I wonder if that has anything to do with her senior partner status.

The Third Horseman - Part I


Bobby and Carver have another "interesting" exchange when Bobby calls Dennis a terrorist and zealot and Carver cautions that those are “loaded terms” and tells him it is a murder case and not to turn it into a litmus test on abortion.

I included the exchange between Dennis and Cutler about God slipping His hand in his and putting His finger around the trigger. That offends me on so many levels, guess I just couldn’t ignore it.

The scene with Bobby talking to the old guy is a good one. It shows how he can pull information from people in a non-belligerent, non-accusatory way. He was patient, almost sympathetic as he pointed out the man’s history of non-violent protestations on various causes in the past. Good cop Bobby…I really like him.

I thought it was really cool how Bobby takes charge when they enter the Carlson home, directing two of the officers to go upstairs, “you two upstairs, you two with me.” Ah, Bobby…so cool, so calm, so completely in control...I like that Bobby, too. It’s a little different Bobby we have these days...meaning Season 7, etc., but then life happens to all of us…we change.

I find the line from Bobby, “Now is not the time to lie to the police,” a bit intriguing and makes me want to ask him, “Okay, Bobby, exactly when is the time to lie to the police?

Adored the scene when he finds the dust bunny for a purely visceral reason; i.e., blue shirt, stubble, eyelashes, full lips. Oh yeah…Bobby was "looking good" in this scene. Lots of nice close-ups, too. Kudos to the director and camera folks.

A note about Eames. This is one of the few times I recall seeing her so visibly, emotionally distraught when talking to a witness; i.e., Mrs. Carlson. She said she didn't believe Dennis did the things they accused him of, but if he did, he obviously believed he was doing God’s will and God would deal with him. Eames had to forcibly control her voice when she replied that maybe God was too busy dealing with Leo Cavella’s five year old daughter who was standing next to her father when he was shot. Good scene for Eames. It was nice to see Goren intervene when he recognized her emotions were getting the better of her, and he stepped in with the questions, and Eames stepped away.

The Third Horseman - Part II


It was cool how they contrived to get Cutler out of the room, so Eames could install the spyware on his computer. And how Bobby stood back and let Eames play the “bad cop” to his “good cop.” At the risk of repeating myself, I like good cop Bobby. Note to self: never be on the wrong side of the law when Goren and Eames are on the job. Oh, and wonder if somewhere way down deep inside if Bobby truly means what he said about women on the force coming with an extra set of "brass" ones?"

I know I’ve said it before, but it bears repeating…it never ceases to amaze me how easily and convincingly Bobby lies to people. For example, how he convinces Cutler that he is on their side by telling him he’s glad Dennis left the state, so he doesn’t have to be involved in his arrest. I’m glad I’m not dating the guy…wait, did I really say that…I’d never know when he was lying or telling the truth. Such a complicated man.

Like Music Wench and so many others, I suspect, I love the scene when Bobby goes undercover in the homeless shelter and "guilts" the others into saying grace with the "unsub." And I am quite certain we were all quite jealous of the men who got to hold hands with our handsome “homeless” Bobby. Then when he leans back…and oh so nonchalantly reaches in his pocket and pulls out his shield and taps it on the table. So very...sexy.

The Third Horseman - Part III


Eames was like a pit bull in this episode wanting to know what everyone thought about abortion…first Bobby, then Carver. She coerced Bobby’s opinion out of him, but Carver adroitly sidestepped the issue. Actually, the more times I watch this episode, the more I realize that Eames pretty much had the “lead” in this one…at least it appeared so…and Bobby assumed a bit of a lesser role. So much for him being the genius and her carrying his water, huh? Uh-oh, did I just say that?

A purely self-serving observation: I liked Bobby’s hair in this one. The stylist for the show was finally getting it right, and I love, love, LOVE how he looks in the jet black suit with the white shirt and red(ish) tie with the diamond pattern. Yummo!!! Then there was the blue shirt and the homeless green shirt with the dirty white-T underneath. I repeat...Yummo!!!

The Third Horseman - Part IV


I found myself feeling a little sorry for the "doer" in this one. I mean what he did was atrocious, and he deserved to be caught and sent to jail for his crime. But when you learned a little about his backstory, you learned his “intent.” As Bobby said, he “took a life for a life.” The scene with him sitting on the park bench…he looked like a sad, lonely young man.

It’s cool how Bobby distracts Dennis on the roof; i.e., telling him it looks like it’s going to rain while he inches closer and closer, and finally clamps his big hand onto Dennis’ arm. But when he started talking about rain and lightning, I have to wonder what the rest of the cops in the background had to be thinking…probably wondering what that crazy Goren was up to now.

I remember I complained a lot when I first started capping Season 7 this year because of all the "extra" people walking around and in front of Bobby and blocking that marvelous face from view. I thought it was something new, but as I am capping these shows from Season 1, I realize it was going on then, too. I realize the writers, producers, etc., want to portray a realistic setting…you know…show a busy squad room, but it was as distracting and annoying in Season 1 as it was in Season 7.

Oh, and in case anyone was counting the number of times Bobby had a gun in his hand in this episode...my count was four. There was the rifle in the park, the scene when they entered the protester's home, the scene when they entered Mrs. Carlson's home, and on the rooftop at the end. As a rule, I detest guns, but in Bobby's hands...I don't know...it just does something to me.

The Third Horseman - Part V


That's it for "The Third Horseman." Next up is "Crazy." I'm starting to think that's me...crazy...for ever starting this "capping and quoting" all the LOCI episodes from the very beginning. Obsessed much? No, not me. I average one a week, and there are more than a hundred Bobby episodes, so that means this is a two year + project. I should live so long.