Saturday, December 3, 2011

The Incredible Shrinking Woman

No, not the Lily Tomlin, Charles Grodin movie from the early 80's.  This version stars the one and only...me.

So, I went to my new doctor this week. Those of you who know me well, know that I have an acute "aversion" to doctors, but to the doctor I did go nonetheless. Basically, after my little "episode" in early October, I realized I needed to find a doctor I could trust and establish a rapport. So, I did, and I believe I have found a good one. My initial reaction anyway is, I like her a lot.

Here is what I learned from the visit:  I have lost a total of (at least) 35 pounds since July 3rd, but perhaps the most perplexing discovery is that I have lost 2 1/2 inches in HEIGHT. (Not since July 3rd, mind you...not sure how long this has been going on.) I used to be 5' 4 1/2" and now I'm 5' 2". Now, when one is already short and fat, the very LAST thing one wants to do is...get SHORTER. Just sayin'.

The doctor also ran a series of blood tests, that involved drawing SEVEN...I counted them...vials of blood. Test results came in yesterday. No pre-diabetes, no anemia, thyroid is okay.  In fact, everything looks good except my cholesterol, which is a little high, but she is going to give me three months to see if I can lower it a bit through my diet. She also took a gander at all the tests that were run at Jewish Hospital that memorable day, and they were all okie-dokie-fine as well.

So, the long and the short of it is, after - literally - thousands of dollars of tests, no one knows what caused my "episode." But at least I have the "peace of mind" of knowing that, for a woman of my advanced years and stature - overall - I am considered to be pretty healthy...a medical anomaly which I am sure positively BAFFLES the medical professionals when they get a look at me.

Of course, all this being said, I could get hit by a bus tomorrow...

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Being decidedly un-tall myself, I can only say that, with the NOTABLE exception of (6'4") Vincent D'Onofrio (and standing beside him, I felt about 2'6"), 'good things' as they say, usually come in small packages ;0)

BobbyG said...

Diane, I remember when you got to meet VDO and was very happy for you; a special memory you will always carry with you. As for me, I would have to "tweak" that saying a bit to say, "good things come in SHORT packages;" I am definitely NOT small.

ann said...

your last line - as we say - p-p-p

Music Wench said...

My mom shrank as she got older. She started out five feet tall and ended up 4'9-1/2" I think it happens to everyone. Kind of like feet size growing even after you've stopped growing in height. I went from a size four foot to a size five foot when I was 35.

I'm afraid I'm going to shrink, too. I'm just so used to being short I don't think I'll notice. lol

Glad to hear you're all right and that you've lost a lot of weight. I'm going to give it a go after the holidays again. I lost seven pounds in a couple of months just giving up sweets. I'm still trying to do this but when we have holiday foods sitting on tables in front of my face, I have a difficult time saying no to pumpkin pie and pecan pie. lol

Anonymous said...

'Short' packages can be cool too ;0)

BobbyG said...

Hi Ann, It is good to hear from you, but I must admit, I'm not sure what p-p-p means.

BobbyG said...

Hi Music Wench, I have always heard that we shrink as we age. I guess I was just surprised to find out just how much already. At this rate, I'll soon be able to star in a local production of The Wizard of Oz...as a Munchkin.

Trust me, I know how hard it is to give up sweets. I'm doing low-carb, so no sweets, no bread, no pasta, no potatoes. I don't feel deprived, but I have a feeling I'm going to allow myself a "controlled" free day on Christmas.

BobbyG said...

Diane, You are certainly right about that.

Eliza said...

I'm glad your tests turned out ok..and now you're as short as me I feel better too :-)

I have to go and get the results of my 'over 40 health check' today..hope my results are as good as yours..although as I seem to be putting weight on (no matter what I try) I'm sure I will get a telling off anyway

BobbyG said...

Hi Eliza, It's good to hear from you. I've been enjoying your Advent Calendar and your VDO Christmas tree today. I've got to get me one of those. LOL Hope all went well at the doctor today. There is nothing I dread more than a trip to the doctor, and I do understand the weight thing...I've battled it my entire life. Take care.