Tuesday, January 15, 2008

How The Obsession Began

Back in August of 2002, I was in Florida vacationing with my friends Betty and Ralph, and my godson…Nathaniel. After spending the day at the pool and walking on the beach and doing typical vacation stuff, we were all sitting around the living room at the condo one evening, talking and watching TV. Nathaniel was in charge of the remote, so he picked a show on USA. I think it was Betty who eventually asked Nathaniel the name of the show and...as fate would have it...it turned out to be "Law & Order Criminal Intent."

Now, I had been a fan of the “mother ship” Law & Order for a number of years. At that time, I didn’t watch SVU…mainly because the subject matter could be way too intense. (I have since gotten over my phobia.) I had read that Dick Wolf was launching another installment, but had made up my mind not to watch it simply because I watch way too much television. So, LOCI had already been on air for a year when I saw my first episode…a rerun at that.

As we’re watching and talking, Nathaniel said…something along the lines of…you have to watch this guy, referring to – of course – VDO and all his wonderful quirkiness. So, we watched it that night and I didn’t think about the show again until one cold, dark Sunday night, smack dab in the middle of winter, I was “channel surfing” and couldn’t find a thing to watch when I landed on NBC…and there he was in all his glory. Bending this way and that, tilting that glorious dark head, sniffing this, touching that, noticing the minutest of details as he tracked down the perp and wheedled a confession out of him…or her. I was hooked.

Now, don’t start hurling “virtual” things at me through your computer, but I have to say that I didn’t find him all that handsome when I FIRST discovered our Detective Bobby. But there was definitely “something” about him that made me come back week after week. I don’t even know when the “moment” hit me, but it did…like a ton of bricks, and I realized Bobby’s the best looking man to come down the pike in a long, long while, and now I can't take my eyes off of him.

So, here it is…the episode where I first saw Bobby. I can’t say that I was “Crazy” for him the instant I saw him, but it’s safe to say I’m head-over-heels, loony-tunes in love with the man now.













































6 comments:

Jane said...

I didn't watch CI when it first aired on NBC, I 'found' it on a Friday night on USA...I saw Bobby and that was it. (But I have to tell the truth) My favorite show of all time is 'Homicide Life On The Street'. When I saw Vincent on 'The Subway' episode my first thought...Jeez, he's ugly. I don't know what happened between that and CI..But I can't believe I ever thought Vincent was ugly. *Hangs head in shame*

Eliza said...

I found LOCI by accident because it was on after CSI and I didn't change channels like I normally do...who'd have thought a "happy accident" would lead to a whole new way of life LOL

Anonymous said...

I kind of fell into watching LOCI, but found I enjoyed it, and the big guy with the quirky manner, even if no-one on the show seemed to address him by name in the ones I saw. It took WEEKS until I heard him introduce himself and Eames. I can't tell you which episode it was, but all of a sudden, my entire being went 'HELLO! He's gorgeous and I WANT him!. The rest, as they say, is the same story as everyone else here - 'LLL'. Love, Lust, Longing! ;0)

BobbyG said...

It's fun learning how others "found" and fell in love with our dear detective. And it's okay, Tess, you need not feel ashamed.

val said...

I was pretty much like the others - intrigued, but not crazy about him. It was the sight of this big bear of a man showing great knowledge of art and literature that struck me. I just had to watch more. And look where it ended!

I saw HLOTS - The Subway - too and was not attracted to John Lange in the slightest. He was pretty objectionable as a person. The acting tore me up, though. I never put it together with Vincent till someone else mentioned it.

Music Wench said...

Seems he definitely is an acquired taste! LOL My husband and I watched the mothership for five years and once Logan left we started watching sporadically and then not at all. We hated SVU. Didn't like Benson or Stabler - still don't.

When LOCI came out my husband and I were intrigued and didn't let our disappointment in SVU stop us from watching it. My husband loved it. Me, not so much. The problem was that annoying, arrogant cop who LIED to that girl about being HIV positive.

If my husband didn't insist on watching I would never have come to adore VDO. He reminds me of this every time I obsess over LOCI. LOL

Oh and quite frankly, I think it's the actor himself that helped me to become more enamored of Bobby Goren. The more I learn about him, the more I like him.