Monday, January 14, 2008

Shoe Shopping

I went home this past weekend…mainly…to get my hair done. I know, I’ve been living in Cincinnati for ten years now, and I still go home to the stylist who has done my hair for…well…fifteen years or more. What can I say…I don’t like change…especially when it comes to someone fiddling with my hair. I keep it long and curly, so I only have to have a perm every five months. Besides, it gives me a reason to go home and visit family and friends. If I ever go back to wearing my hair short – and I do mean – SHORT, then I’ll have to rethink this, but until then…Danny is my go-to hair guy.

Since I was going in for the weekend, if I had time, I thought I might drop by my favorite shoe store and see what sort of damage I could inflict on my wallet in that area. I was awake by 6:30a.m. on Saturday morning. This is one of the annoying aspects of growing old…I’m awake at the crack of dawn…heck…way before the crack of dawn… regardless of when I fall asleep. Getting up at 6:30 on a Saturday morning wouldn’t be such a bad thing if I wasn’t usually ready for a nap around noon, and there would be no time for a nap this day. When I realized I was good and awake and in no danger of nodding off again, I decided to go ahead and get ready and head over to Unger’s Shoe Store in Ironton, Ohio.

Unger’s is a rarity these days in downtown, small town America. This is a true “Mom & Pop” family business that has managed to survive for more than 60 years. I can remember my mom taking me there when I was a little girl to buy shoes when it was time to start school in the fall, or for church or other special occasions. Mr. Unger (Gene) would greet us at the door…as he did all his customers...with a big smile and a cheerful hello. He always made you feel “special” and was genuinely pleased and grateful that you chose to shop in his store. Gene passed his distinctive style of customer service along to his kids…Joe and Mary, who now run the business. Gene passed away in 1995, but Unger’s lives on…Boy Howdy…does it live on.

I arrived a couple of minutes before the store opened at 9:00a.m. The lights weren’t on yet, but the door was open, so I stepped inside. I was about to “announce” myself when I heard Mary’s voice on the sidewalk outside. When she came inside and saw me, she grabbed me and gave me a big ol’ bear hug and told me how happy she was to see me. (See what I mean? How often does that happen?)

While Mary took off her coat and checked in with the rest of the employees (all family members) I started scoping out the shoes. Here is how it works. I told Mary what I was looking for…my standard black and navy blue shoes. My favorite style is “Mary Jane” and I’m in luck because they are back in style. I picked out a couple of styles/brands that appealed to me and took a seat. About five minutes later, Mary appeared from the storeroom in the back carrying no less than eight pairs of shoes. (Ah, the “shoe shopping” was about to begin in earnest.)

This was just the beginning. Mary helped me in and out of each pair and waited while I walked around and checked out how they looked in the mirror and how they felt on my feet. Both Mary and Joe are “certified” for fitting orthopedic shoes – I mean they have customers who come from miles and miles away with doctor’s prescriptions for shoe fittings. So, Mary wanted to make sure that the shoes I was trying on not only looked good, but fit properly. After I tried on the first batch, she went off to collect more. I know...when all was said and done...I tried on, at least, two dozen pairs of shoes.

You must understand, this is a ritual I have participated in for several years now, so I know how to play the game. I tell Mary what I want, she brings me those...plus tons of others to try on in an effort to tempt me to the dark side of shoe wearing/buying...and so it progresses until I finally end up with what I need/want. I seldom leave the place with less than three pairs of shoes. (This is precisely how she got me hooked on Birkenstocks.)

Besides the “work” shoes, I also wanted a new pair of “New Balance” shoes, or so I thought. Mary then proceeded to introduce me to the world of “MBT” footwear. I had never heard of them, but I let her talk me into trying on a pair. I could not believe how much better my lower back and knees felt in those shoes, neither could I believe the price tag. Plus, I will now have to learn to walk all over again because the heel of the shoe curves up around the back, so it is more like a “rocking” shoe. They are supposed to improve one's posture, but I just hope I don't break my dang fool neck. Some dogs are just too old to learn new tricks.

So, an hour and a half and three pairs of new shoes later…one black, one navy blue, and one athletic…I am ready to leave the store. (I may have to sell a kidney to pay for them, but my feet are going to be happy.) Well, almost. I hadn’t had my hug from Joe yet, so I made my way back through the stockroom to the small office in the corner in the back to where he was doing paperwork. When he saw me, his face lit up with a big smile and he came around the desk and gave me a big hug. We chatted for a bit…it had been a little over a year since my last shoe shopping excursion. I told him I hadn’t owed them any money for a while, so I knew it was time to buy shoes. (They still have store accounts for their “regular” customers.)

Joe and Mary...they’re just good, honest, down to earth, homey people. And they treat everyone the same way…well…maybe they don’t hug everyone who walks through the door, but they make you feel wanted and special while you’re there. That’s why I buy all my shoes from them. I’m a customer for life.

Shoe shopping at Unger’s…it’s not just an outing...it's an event.

This is Joe in front of the store.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

How lucky that places like this still exsist. I despair when it's time for me to get shoes. Since most on offer seem to be made in China for a few pennies, what should be 'my' size seem too big these days, and the smaller size is too small. Treasure your shopping experience ;0)

val said...

Oh, I would LOVE to have a store like that near me! Every year I have a harder time finding pairs that the hospital can "adapt" (since my hip replacement I have one leg longer than the other and one shoe has to be raised) and a place like this would solve all my problems. Lucky you.

mary said...

How I envy you!! I LOVE shoes, even worked in a shoe store for 7-8years just to feed my jones for them. I grew up in Ohio so next time I'm up that way I will seek out this store and my hubby will curse you as he pays the bill:)

BobbyG said...

Diane: I do treasure my shoe shopping times at Unger's. I have spent as much as three hours at a time in this store, but it's always a good -- and expensive -- time. Their shoes aren't cheap.

Val: There was another lady in the store while I was there. She had driven 30 miles to buy shoes after working all night in the hospital in housekeeping. Her husband was with her, and he said she had had three hip replacement surgeries (both hips, and one repeated because the first one had not been done correctly). She was there to buy comfy shoes and ended up with a pair of the MBTs.

Mary: Whenever you come through Ohio, let me know and I'll give you directions to the store. And yes, your husband will most definitely curse me when he sees the bill.

Eliza said...

I need a shoe store like that.I hate shopping for shoes..and tend to live in trainers (As Val can tell you)..all dressed up in my nice clothes with an old "comfortable" pair of trainers on in London.I did have my good shoes in my bag,but I couldn't bare to change them :-)