Saturday, March 8, 2008

Snowed-In

The “white plague of death” descended upon us yesterday morning around 9:00a.m. and has been going strong ever since. Depending on where one lives in the Greater Cincinnati area, they’re reporting…at last count…anywhere from eight to twelve inches of the “fluffy” stuff, and it’s not over. We’re in the midst of a “blizzard warning” and a “Level 3” snow emergency. That means only emergency and Department of Transportation vehicles are supposed to be on the roadways. Hey, they don’t have to tell me twice.

Luckily, I heeded the dire predictions the weather prognosticators had been warning about since the first of the week and made a much-needed trip to the grocery store immediately after work on Thursday. So, food-wise…I’m good. Actually, when I think about it, staying in for the weekend is pretty much the norm for me. This time the only difference being…I couldn’t get out if I wanted to…the driveway hasn’t been cleared, the roads are a mess, and a lot of stores and businesses are closed anyway.

However shall I cope? Well, I’ve got a slow cooker full of steak simmering away in homemade barbeque sauce in the kitchen. Shortly, a dish of scalloped potatoes will be shoved into the oven to go with the green beans (freshly canned last summer) I cooked last night. Add some hot bread and homemade brownies and that…my friends…is what I call “good eats.” Yep, when I’m snowed-in…I cook…and eat.

As for entertainment or things to keep me busy while I "ride out" this wintry tempest? Well, Lord knows this apartment is sorely in need of a proper and thorough cleaning. Then there is that mountain of laundry in the bedroom. I have books to read, stories to write, friends & family to call, blogs to read, posts to write, movies galore to watch, and when I tire of all this, I can climb into bed with a "certain" TV detective and wile away the long, cold hours of the night by watching him fight crime. Yes, I believe I shall somehow contrive to survive until we "thaw-out."

Here are a few pictures people have been sending in to local Channel 9 to “document” the “Blizzard of 2008.”

A "view" of the city from Mt. Adams early this morning.

The John A. Roebling Suspension Bridge. Look familiar? He also designed the Brooklyn Bridge...only ours came first.

Cincinnati...a view from the Kentucky side of the Ohio River.

Perhaps a "plea" to the Almighty above?

And now for the animal lovers...


For the record, I do like animals...well...some of them...I just don't possess the patience or square footage to have a pet of my very own. Here are some puppies...guess cats don't like the snow, huh?

Gracie...what a cute face!

My guess is Baxter's thinking, "Should I be at all concerned that I can't feel my "willie?"

Carson...just sittin' in the snow.

Chloe looks "pissed." "Would you please stop taking stupid pictures and clean this crap off me...NOW?!"

Yes, there is a puppy in that mass of white...another Gracie. Must be a popular doggie name.

Sammy seems to be saying, "Yes, I know I look "absolutely adorable" in the snow, but may I please come inside now?"

My favorite...Max. Granted, one cannot discern the depth of the snow from this photo, but just look at this "face." It's a great face!!

4 comments:

val said...

Cats come back in the same footprints they went out in. It's very funny to watch.

Not that I get to watch it very often, as we don't appear to have had a winter this year.

Jane said...

March can be a wicked month. Two years ago on March 18th we got 21 inches of snow. When I went out to dig out my car...I started crying. Here's hoping for a quick thaw!

BobbyG said...

Val, I had a cat -- briefly -- once. Well, the cat had me, actually. Anyway, now that you mention it, I remember watching her that winter, and she did exactly what you said.

Tess, you poor thing...I would have cried too. Luckily, the guy who lives in one of the downstairs apartments "dug" us out yesterday after the snow stopped, so I will at least be able to get to work tomorrow. Now, I just hope the sidewalks are clear at work...I'm more afraid of falling in this weather.

Anonymous said...

eeeeeeeeeeeek...I hate the snow
but dinner sounds good