Sunday, March 30, 2008

The War At Home

No, not the LOCI episode. This is a very different post for me. I’ve never met the young man I’m about to tell you about. Suffice it to say, he has become a local “icon” of sorts as an entire community has banded together over the past four years to hold candlelight vigils to pray for the safe return of a young man who went to war back in November 2003.

His name was Keith Matthew “Matt” Maupin, and he was from Batavia, Ohio…about a twenty minute drive from where I live. After high school, he enrolled in the University of Cincinnati Aerospace Engineering Program, using a scholarship that he received from winning a writing competition. In 2002, he joined the Army Reserve. He was nineteen or twenty years old and had his whole life ahead of him….like so many of the 4,000 Americans (and countless others) who have given their lives in Iraq.

On April 9, 2004, Matt’s fuel convoy came under attack by insurgents near Baghdad. Without going into a lot of details, he was taken prisoner, and several days later, he appeared on a videotape broadcast on the "Al Jazeera" network…I’m sure you’ve all seen similar news broadcasts. He was a frightened kid and identified himself as “Private First Class” Keith Matthew Maupin.

Then on June 28, 2004 "Al Jazeera" reported that Matt was executed by a group, identifying itself as the "Persistent Power Against the Enemies of God and the Prophet." It never ceases to amaze me how so much wretchedness is perpetrated in the name of God, but I digress. The method of execution in the "alleged" report was a gunshot to the head and at least one news network…I cannot recall which one…showed the grainy film of…what appeared to be…a soldier, sitting on the ground, bent over with his back to the camera. He was purportedly shot in the head -- which was also shown on the film...as I recall; I only watched it once. The U.S. Army, however, deemed the tape “inconclusive,” stating it was unclear whether the man was Maupin, or if anyone was executed at all.

So, for nearly four years, the parents, family, friends, and a community bound together through a common cause, have waited and prayed and hoped for news of this young soldier who has been “missing in action” for so long. Well, today the Army informed the Maupin family that Matt’s remains had been found. I was channel surfing and happened upon the local news conference with his parents. I just burst into tears...I don't know why. Like I said, I had never met the young man. It's just sad when the loss of another young life is confirmed, I suppose.

"Odo Nnyew Fie Kwan Frame" or...Love Never Loses Its Way Home...is a West African proverb that was used in Iraq among the troops to describe the search for Matt. The Maupin family also used that phrase as a cornerstone for their unrelenting hope that Matt would one day return home. Well, sadly, he’s coming home now.

This entry should in no way be construed as some sort of "political" statement, but I can say...unequivocally...that I hate this freakin’ war.


Matt's parents.

Matt received three promotions from the Army during the time he was listed as MIA, going from PFC to Staff Sergeant. I don't understand the logic in that. I can only imagine that was "hollow" comfort for his family.

4 comments:

val said...

I know there are times when war is inevitable and just - wuch as the war against Hitler - but for the most part everyone is the loser.

BobbyG said...

How true...Val...how very true.

Music Wench said...

I empathize with you. We've had a couple of losses from this war here in the communities where I live. It is a tragedy and it touches everyone.

I've covered stories of local families who have lost loved ones and I've cried with them because it's just so sad. Thanks for sharing this.

BobbyG said...

Hi, Music Wench. Thanks for stopping by.

I just visited your blog and read your "About This Blog" comments and OH MY GOD, I can't believe how much alike we sound. I am opinionated and tend to blurt out things without thinking that it will tick anyone off and then -- Boy Howdy -- end up offending people when that really was not my intention. Oh well...such is life.
I understand and respect your reasoning behind not permitting comments on your blog. But then there is something so completely soothing about "deleting" an offensive/spam comment. I've only had to do it once, and it was spam.

Anyway, thanks for the visit and come back anytime you like.