Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Opening Day

In Cincinnati, that means only one thing…Reds baseball is back in town. As the oldest professional baseball team, having organized in 1869 and – no, I was not in attendance at that very first Opening Day game – the Reds open the baseball season at home every year. And they do it in style.

From the parade that starts at Findlay Market and wends its way downtown around Fountain Square, to the “flyover” at the ballpark, to the festive opening ceremonies, to the “ceremonial first pitch…” Cincinnati does it up right. The game itself, almost…I repeat…ALMOST…becomes incidental in the midst of all the hoopla.

No, Opening Day in Cincinnati is not your “run of the mill” occurrence; it is a bona fide, rarified, event “extraordinaire!” Parents…and teachers…look the other way as kids skip school to attend the game. Employers know without a doubt that a goodly number of their employees will be taking vacation days or calling in with a severe case of “baseball-itis” for the day. People who don’t know a curve ball from a snow ball, a dinger from a donut, or a bullpen from a playpen become baseball aficionados…for the day.

The Reds opened their new ballpark in 2003, and I have been in attendance at every opening day game since then…until yesterday. I had a ticket…a most excellent seat…mind you, but since rain was in the forecast for much of the day, I opted to stay home and watch it on TV.

Now, I’m not usually such a fainthearted fan. In fact, I have been known to huddle under a blanket in freezing April weather, or sit out rain delays during the fiercest of tempests…but not this time. You see, I am still suffering from the remnants of the cold I got all the way back in December…just can’t shake the bloody thing…and sitting outside for several hours in the dampness would not have been the smartest thing I could have done. Plus the thoughts of standing for long periods of time with my cranky knees and grumpy lower back...well...I guess I'm just getting too old for this sort of thing. So, I stayed in and watched the game from the comfort of my living room couch.

As is so typical of my "boys of summer," they lost: 4-2. But as "they" are fond of saying in baseball land: "It's a marathon...not a sprint." One game down...161 to go. Ah...baseball season...it's a very good thing.

Play Ball!


I would have posted this yesterday, but had to wait to find these photos, which are courtesy of the "Dayton Daily News."

6 comments:

Jane said...

See, I'll be this excited when it's the first day of college football (Go Huskers!)

Looks like everyone was having a great time despite the weather...Sorry The Reds lost :(

val said...

I just can't be bothered with sport any more.

Except if Olee's playing...

jazzy said...

the european soccer championship begin on 7 june; 52 nations will join. i am already infected with that "fever", so i feel with you, bobbyG and i really hope your favorite team will win :) crossing fingers for you!!

BobbyG said...

Tess, in these parts one is either a Univeristy of Cincinnati fan or an Ohio State fan. My family tends to root for the Buckeyes, so I root for OSU. I also like pro football, so my only "down" sports time is that period following the Super Bowl and Opening Day.

Jazzy, I've never followed soccer very much, but I do understand one's love for a sport or particular team or player. Hope your team(s) win too.

My poor Reds lost again tonight, but they are usually slow starters.

tate31nym said...

Oh yes, college football opening day. Now there is a good time. Especially as a member of the marching band. I'm surprised I have any hearing left.

But HOORAH! baseball!! I admit though, the excitement is totally lost on me, as Piazza is probably home watching the games from the comfort of his living room also.
*sad face*

I'm reminded of a great quote though...something along the lines of, when your team wins its, "We did great today!!" and when your team loses it's, "Those bums!"

BobbyG said...

Well, first, I jumped the gun last night. I was watching "Criminal Minds" and switching back and forth between that and the game. The Reds were behind 5-3 going into the 9th inning and the next time I checked they were in commercial...game over, so I "assumed" they lost. Imagine my surprise when I was watching the sports news at 11:20 and they were interviewing the guys in the locker room. I thought they appeared too happy to have lost a game. Then they showed Encarnacion's walk off dinger in the 9th...REDS WIN. I'll pay closer attention from here on out...I assure you. It's just that old habits die hard. I keep forgetting it's the 2008 season, not 2007.

Next, sorry about Piazza. I know what it's like when your fave player is no longer in the game.

And last, I stand by my boys win or lose. Yes, it's a lot easier to be a fan when your team wins, but I suck it up and follow them the live-long season. I can be "critical" of them, but I still love 'em...rain or shine...win or lose...they're still my Reds.