Thursday, April 3, 2008

There I Go "Assuming" Again

I was watching the Reds/D'Backs game last night until "Criminal Minds" came on at 9:00. I could have taped the show, but thought I would watch it and switch back and forth to keep up with the "game action." The Reds were behind, and they usually start the season off at a slow pace, so I figured I'd be safe. (There I go thinking again. One day I'll learn.)

Like I said, I checked the game "frequently" and saw that my guys were behind 5-3 in the ninth inning. So, I flipped back to my show and the next time I checked Fox Sports Ohio, the game was over...I could tell by the lead-in back from commercial. Didn't see the score, but I "assumed" the Reds had lost. (Even left a comment on one of my blog posts to that effect.)

You can, therefore, imagine my perplexed mien when I switched to the sports news around 11:20 to see some of the Reds' players being interviewed in the locker room after the game. They were smiling and laughing and having a grand old time, and I'm thinking, "Gee, they look pretty happy to have lost a game. Old Dusty Baker can't be too pleased with that attitude." Then they showed it.

Edwin Encarnacion, the Reds' third baseman, hit a "walk-off" home run in the bottom of the ninth with two runners on base to beat the D'Backs 6-5.

SWEET!!

What makes this an especially good story is that Edwin had made an error earlier in the game that allowed the opposing team to score two runs, so he got to go from "goat" to "hero" with one mighty swing of the bat. But then, that's just one of the things that makes baseball such a great game. Go Reds!

Good-bye Mr. Baseball! It's outta here! (Nice follow-through with the bat.)
Mobbed at home plate by his team mates.
Even the "boss" appreciates a job well done!
Photos "borrowed" from the "Cincinnati Enquirer."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

erm... and what language is this?????