Monday, April 21, 2008

Gone With The Wind...Sort Of

Okay, so I'm in a comedic mood of late. Sorry, I guess I just need a good laugh these days, and now that I have figured out how to post YouTube videos on my blog...well...Katie, bar the door...I've created a monster. Actually, I have Tess to thank for this next bit; she mentioned Carol Burnett in a recent blog comment, and this skit automatically sprang to mind. In fact, my friend, Linda, and I were just chatting about this sketch a few days ago. We both just lapse into fits of laughter whenever we talk about it.

For those of you who might not be familiar with Carol Burnett, this is...for me...perhaps the funniest skit I've ever seen on television. What passes for comedy nowadays...more often than not...makes me want to hang my head in shame and lament as to what the world is coming to. (Oh, dear...did I just channel my daddy?)

Anyway, Carol Burnett, Vicki Lawrence, Harvey Korman, and Tim Conway at their best in this "spoof" of Margaret Mitchell's epic novel. I'm quite sure this is not quite what she envisioned when she sat down to write about Rhett and Scarlett and the rest. Dinah Shore is wonderful as "Melanie," only they changed the names of the original characters. I think they're saying "Millie," but I can't be certain. Be sure to watch for her "signature" sign-off.

Again, like the Lucy skit, it's a tad long, so if you don't have time to watch the whole thing, try to hang around long enough to see Carol Burnett strut down the staircase in her "gown" that she fashioned out of the draperies. Then listen for her follow-up comment to Rhett's statement about what a lovely dress she's wearing. It's priceless... absolutely knee-slapping hilarious.

I should mention this is "Part 2." If you want to see the first part, check it out on YouTube.

Without further ado, I give you..."Went With The Wind."



This video was made by "Tabstarkin" and posted to YouTube a year ago. I can't believe I'm just now finding these gems.

4 comments:

Jane said...

Oh, bless you...This has been the best part of my day! Carol Burnett is a national treasure.

BobbyG said...

Glad you enjoyed it, Tess. WHen she says, "I saw it in the window and just couldn't resist it," I just "bust a gut" laughing every time.

Today should be good for you, too. Just wait until you see the video of VDO from Nashville. Good stuff.

jazzy said...

how are you? how are you????
oh pretty good thanks, and you?
haaahaha!!

Music Wench said...

LOL I too went nuts when I first discovered YouTube. My blog went from all text to all kinds of visuals in seconds! One of my readers asked me if I was on crack cause I was having posting videos to my blog and all of a sudden several copies of each of the videos I posted showed up! LOL

This is marvelous! I loved Carol Burnett. My parents and I watched her every week quite faithfully the entire time her show was on. :)