Friday, March 6, 2009

Best War Movies Of All Time

So, I'm messing around on the Internet last night, and I find this link for the Best War Movies Of All Time. I like movies. Who am I kidding? I love movies...yes...even a good war movie. Whenever I find a "list" like this, I'm always curious to see if any of the movies I've seen and liked made the cut, so I started clicking through the pages.

You know, I've never seen the movie "Full Metal Jacket" although I've certainly read enough about it and Vincent D'Onofrio's haunting portrayal of Private Pyle. I was not truly surprised that FMJ made the list...No. 6, in fact. The "blurb" about the movie says: "What It's Good for: It's Kubrick's gritty look at the dehumanizing effects of basic training and the even more brutal experience of combat during the Tet Offensive. Matthew Modine stars, but Vincent D'Onofrio, as the seriously disturbed Pvt. Pyle, will haunt your dreams."

When one follows the "link" to Vincent's name, there is a brief biography that states: "An actor whose hulking presence belies his ability to slip quietly into an astonishing variety of roles, Vincent D'Onofrio is one of Hollywood's most unpredictable and compelling performers." Unpredictable and compelling...that sounds about right.

There's so many nasty and unkind things said about VDO on certain websites...that shall go forever unnamed...that it was so refreshing to accidentally stumble upon this small tribute to his talent.

My search of all things Vincent D'Onofrio also led me to his "imdb" page where I found that he is listed as a cast member in another movie for 2009..."Brooklyn's Finest." The movie stars Richard Gere, Don Cheadle, Ethan Hawke, and Lily Taylor. Couldn't find out much about the movie and it doesn't look like he has a very large part, but at least he can add another film to his credits...to the delight of his faithful fans.