Sunday, August 30, 2009

"Tuxedo Hill" Quotes

Well, the first thing I noticed about this episode was that it initially aired on my daddy’s birthday; i.e., May 10th. My next observation, or “admission,” is that I never quite understood the complexities of this storyline regarding hedge funds, stocks, and the NASDAQ… “Meshach, and Abednego.” It just goes to show that Wall Street greed, or “avarice” in general, didn’t just come about in the past couple of years to help create our present economic situation. Besides, isn’t “greed” one of the Seven Deadly Sins? Sadly, it’s been around…like…forever.

I know it has been said before, but I will say it again…it is always a “treat” to watch Bobby interact with children. But did anybody else find it odd that the little girl supposedly walked four miles from the wrecked car to the diner where she was found…in the dark?

Ah, Bobby is so predictable…sniffing the lady as the EMTs were trying to carry her up the hill on that stretcher. The Goren nose knows. And how dare that detective doubt Bobby when he said Jennifer wasn’t making up the bit about the gunpowder smell. There is a reason Bobby is at Major Case and this schmuck is not. Little does this idiot know that the “fancy mints” wrapper Bobby found…and the others overlooked and this moron dismisses with a shake of his head…will turn out to be a key clue in solving the case.

You know, I don’t remember Deakins being as contrary and cynical as he comes off in the scene with Eames and Goren when they are trying to establish exactly what is going on with the lady from the car wreck.

“Tuxedo Hill” Slideshow – Part I


One thing I have learned from several years of “intense” observation of Detective Goren is that if he rises from his chair and approaches you to do a little “one on one” talking with you…watch out. And, I’m sorry, but it was obvious to me that the insipid Karyn was lying, so why was Bobby…with all his profiling skills…not “immediately” suspicious of the woman? Oh, well…I suppose even the splendid Detective Goren can have an “off” day.

Bobby breaks down another door when they go to check out the plumber, aka the “murder victim,” only they don’t show us this time. Darn. I do so love it when we get to watch Bobby getting “physical.”

One of the things I love about Bobby is that he is a consummate “gentleman,” or at least he was in the early episodes. Case in point, he stands when Elizabeth Dawson enters the interrogation room. I mean, at this point, she is a “suspect” in the murder of her boyfriend, and he still stands in deference to her. I like that, but then I like most things about Bobby.

He is also like a dog gnawing on a bone the way he keeps offering Elizabeth one of those English black peppermint mints. Now, we all know he was trying to prove a point, but the hapless suspect didn’t have a clue. You just know she had to be thinking, “What is wrong with this crazy man and why does he keep offering me a mint after I’ve told him I don’t like peppermint and don’t want any?” Bobby and Eames both take a mint. Check out the look on Eames’ face when she says, “They’re real zesty.”

And I don’t know what it is like in the part of the world where you live, but finding a “full-service” gas station where an attendant still pumps your gas for you is almost non-existent in my neck of the woods.

“Tuxedo Hill” Slideshow – Part II


I despise the Jack Crawley dude…condescending, money-grubbing asshole that he is. I want to smack the smirk off his face when he “explains” to Bobby that CFO stands for Chief Financial Officer. Although I find he was most aptly named; i.e., Crawley. He sure did make my skin crawl…the jerk!

I love watching Bobby “work” a room…touch this…fiddle with that…pick up papers and other documents to look at. I wonder how much of that is just his “natural” nosiness, how much is done to intimidate the onlooker, and how much can be attributed to Vincent D’Onofrio’s natural mannerisms.

Another thing I noticed…Bobby smiled a lot more in the early years than he does now. I miss that smile.

I laugh every time I watch this episode and Crawley “explains” what Tuxedo Hill is and Eames says, “We have no idea what you just said.” Bobby does look confounded as well, and it should be noted that he does not wear that particular expression very often. This episode sounds very much like a “ripped” from the headlines story a few years ahead of its time. (Can you say Bernie Madoff?) Now, I understand “zilch,” “nada,” “zippo,” about the stock market and how it works, but even I knew something hinky was going on from the get-go in this one.

Eames had an apt description for Crawley…snake-oil merchant. He’s a big ol’ weasel all right.

Notice how the bags of chips are turned so that the brand name cannot be seen? This is the scene at the sidewalk kiosk with the “nerdy” guy who is explaining his concerns about Mattawin and Tuxedo Hill to Goren and Eames. Guess no one wanted to pay the ad fees for the product placement, huh? No such qualms about the magazines, though. Go figure.

“Tuxedo Hill” Slideshow – Part III


You know, the more they tried to explain this whole “scheme”…the more my head hurt. That was the case when I watched it the first time…and every time since then…and more so as I painstakingly captured the dialogue for my quotes post. There’s a reason I don’t “play” the stock market, and I’m too stupid to fiddle much with my 401K. I realized a long time ago…I have to work until I die.

What can I say about the airplane scene that hasn’t been said a thousand times over. A “tight fit,” you say, Bobby? You have no idea, baby…no idea. I never get tired of watching Bobby snatch the flight manifest out of the pilot’s fingers and hand it off to Eames. (He’s such a Bobby.) And then when he asks for mints and the pilot has to “squeeze” past him-- Frankly, I'm surprised Vincent D’Onofrio didn’t somehow contrive to have that particular “maneuver” carried out by the pretty blonde flight attendant who handed him the requested mints. He does give her a “look.”

And those ungodly bonuses, but I already talked about greed, so let’s move on to my favorite “Bobby-line” in this episode. Well, I just remembered that there’s also the line about the “itty-bitty” little doggy, but this one is pretty good, too. It’s when they’re on to Crawley, but don’t have any hard evidence yet and Bobby says, “There might be one thing he left “flapping” in the wind.” He delivers these lines with such “deadpan” composure...masterful.

“Tuxedo Hill” Slideshow – Part IV


Ah, and now we arrive at the scene when Bobby and Eames pay Karyn a visit at her apartment and start to piece it all together. Her sarcastic line about, “Don’t “you people” take notes,” made me want to scratch her eyes out, but then I frequently have that reaction when people treat Bobby inconsiderately.

All I have to say is…Wow! Crawley sure had the fiancée fooled. Why are women always so gullible when men are concerned? Well, he was also a “rich” man, so there was a double enticement, I suppose.

I already made reference to Bobby and the itty-bitty little doggy, but it was a cute scene. He kept scratching the dog’s ear and Eames kept looking at him like he was crazy. Of course, I’m sure she has given him that look “a lot” over the years.

At long last, we get to the “gotcha” scene, and the first thing I have to say to Bobby is, “Liar, liar…pants on fire.” Bobby tells Crawley that the witness warrant was Carver’s idea when it was really his. Yes, yes, I know...lying to suspects and criminals is an integral part of Bobby’s interviewing style. I just wonder how much would “flow” over into his “real” life…if Bobby had a real life.

“Tuxedo Hill” Slideshow – Part V


I have to admit that I found it particularly gratifying to watch Crawley fold like a cheap tent when Bobby nailed his ass to the wall, and the girlfriend didn’t waste anytime turning on him either. But then, who could blame her? Yep, old Crawley quickly transformed into a big ol’ sniveling "wussy-man" when he realized they had him dead to rights.

Bobby’s final “aria” is one of my all time favorites; i.e., “What fanatics do to us with guns and bombs, you tried to do with an accounting trick! Don’t think for a minute that you deserve anything better than they do.” Powerful stuff, but then…my Bobby is one very powerful and intimidating man.

“Tuxedo Hill” Slideshow – Part VI


Well, that does it for my look back at Law & Order Criminal Intent’s inaugural season. It is hard to believe, but I started this little journey about fifteen months ago…on May 25, 2008 to be precise. That is when I made my first “Quotes” post about LOCI’s very first episode… “One.”

I have tweaked the process a bit since that initial offering…hopefully for the better. I learned how to make a decent slideshow, utilizing Photobucket and added some additional slideshows, and went from showcasing a few “notable” quotes to charting dialogue for most of the dang show. But it helped pass the time and made me appreciate my favorite television detective all the more...and I made a few friends along the way.

So, now it is on to Season 2. At this rate, I am going to be a very old woman before I get to the end of this particular odyssey. I should live so long.