Tuesday, May 19, 2009

"Faithfully" Recap

Ever since I read about the scene where Bobby was sitting around the table having a family dinner, I have been dying to see it. In true, typical LOCI fashion, however, it fell woefully short of the mark and left me with more questions than answers. (Which leads me to think the LOCI writers must be in cahoots with the writers from LOST, but I digress.) Then later, when Bobby shows Eames the photo with Molly and her rabbit and he refers to her as his “niece,” well…that really had me scratching my head.

The USA synopsis states that, “Goren revisits simple family values in the Midwest with his Great Aunt Connie. We pick up Eames as she returns from Staten Island and a complicated family dynamic (she was the surrogate carrier for her sister’s baby). They both arrive back in the city and are thrust into the murder of Dr. Ryan Conlon." Maybe the writers will do the "faithful" followers of the show the courtesy of an explanation one of these days, but until then, I’ll make up my own storyline. I used to be a writer, I can do that.

Now, onto a few observations from this week’s episode. First, I noticed that, when Bobby and Ross shook hands upon Bobby’s return to MCS, Ross didn’t look Bobby in the eye, focusing his attention instead on Eames. Maybe it doesn’t mean anything, but it looked like a blatant snub to me. Then later, when Bobby was trying to explain the significance of the kid trying not to stutter and the fact that the minister’s wife had been his speech therapist, Ross appears to be annoyed and dismissive. So, in true Bobby fashion, he takes hold of Ross’s arm to “encourage” his attentiveness. Not likin’ Ross so much this season…so far. But then, it appears that Ross may have issues of his own; i.e., his bitter reference to divorce lawyers and that mysterious pill.

And, oh, sweet delight…about nine minutes in (minus commercial interruptions) we get to watch Bobby stroll down the street in that gray suit. Forget the perp walk, I’ll take the “Python Walk” any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Loved, loved, LOVED the batman line. When, after Bobby describes the perp…black motorcycle, black helmet, black gloves…Ross says, “Great! Batman.” And Bobby comes back with, “Actually, Batman was a vigilante, sir.” Eames liked it, too. Yeah, that’s something the old Bobby would do…correct everybody…regardless of their rank.

And now I have a new thing to obsess over…the “leg bounce.” I could tell he was doing it in previous episodes, but this is the first time I recall actually getting a good look at it in “action.” I’m talking about the scene when he is sitting in a chair, opposite the blonde chick, questioning her about calling the church secretary and leaving a message for her husband. Anyway, his right leg is really going to town…all that pent-up nervous energy, I suppose.

Ah, so Bobby checks his personal emails at work, but don't we all? I keep trying to read his email address, but can only make out a portion of it. I find it interesting that the little girl refers to him as “Uncle Bobby” in her subject line of her email to him, but begins her note to him with “Dear Robert.” And the note was very sweet in that she was sending him some pictures to remember them by.

So, perhaps Bobby does have some “normal” relatives in his lineage to turn to…something besides dope addicts, and drunkards, and gamblers and schizophrenics, and serial killers. I suppose sitting down to dinner as a family, saying grace, being served butter beans, and drinking a wholesome glass of milk with one’s meal is a welcome change of pace from all that.

I’ve always had a suspicion that Bobby lived in Brooklyn, and now we have proof. The address on the envelope is 219 Mather Street, Greenpoint, Brooklyn, NY 11222. Bobby’s newfound family…the Frys with the “simple” Midwest family values…live in Lebanon, Michigan. Nothing wrong with that. The zip code of 97071 (at least that’s what it looks like to me) is another matter, however; that is the zip code for Woodburn, Oregon, which in no way can be construed as the Midwest. Oh, well. No one has ever accused the LOCI writers of being…you know…consistent.

And, finally, we get another glimpse of Bobby’s kitchen…with a wall phone instead of the counter top phone we saw in “Amends.” Not that I’m complaining, but I wish they’d give us a peek of another room like, for instance, his bedroom or…dare I suggest it…his bathroom. I, for one, wouldn’t mind being treated to the sight of a “wet” Bobby, stepping out of the shower and reaching for a towel, or…be still my heart…Bobby shaving. And with that provocative image burning in my brain, I’m going to wrap this up and go prepare myself a simple family-value-filled Midwestern dinner…sans the butter beans.

“Faithfully” Slideshow, featuring LOTS of Bobby, a little Eames, and as little of Ross as possible.