Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Identity Crisis "Mini" Observations

Well, right off the bat, I can say that I liked this episode better than the premiere a couple of weeks ago. I made the mistake of visiting the "Major Case" forum and someone there said they thought it was only marginally better than "Playing Dead" and it was "boring, boring, boring," and flat as her hair after a three day shampoo. Oh, well, you can't please everyone.

You know, some people have complained that the writers were delving too deeply into the detectives' personal lives and not focusing on the story. So, this season, the writers have gone back to focusing on the story and showing the detectives going about solving the case, and people are bitching about that. It's called Criminal "Intent" for a reason. Personally, while it was by no means "the best" LOCI episode I've ever seen, it was far from "boring." I mean, how can one be bored when they're watching Goren solve a crime? Like I said, you can't please everyone.

I have just a few "mini" observations on this eppy...the things that jumped out at me. One of these days, when I get around to "quoting" dialogue, I'll most likely find a lot more things to discuss, but for now, I'll keep it "short and sweet."

First of all, I think Captain Ross needs to get laid or something. Seriously, I'm sick and tired of the offhanded way he dismisses everything Bobby says. And Rodgers doesn’t seem to be holding a grudge or harboring any resentment toward Bobby after his explosion in her lab last season.

There were lots of parallels to Bobby’s life in this one…the kid who was shot was being treated for a lymphoma…the boys’ mom was schizophrenic…two brothers, etc. Then there was the summation scene when Bobby said, “Wasn’t he all you had in the world? When the two of you were little boys comforting each other from that nightmare of a mother.” Yes, so many similarities and yet…Bobby didn’t react like he would have in previous seasons…he didn’t use the similarities in his own life to gain the suspect's trust.

I loved Bobby’s face when the snooty wife told him and Eames that her husband must have gone to Princeton because he even knew the secret recipe for some fancy soup that was made at the Occidental Club. Yeah, can you say “pretentious" bitch?

So, this season is back to "normal” know-it-all Bobby; e.g., recognizing that the name of one of the alias's Tommy used was also the name of a 19th Century conman who once "sold" the Eiffel Tower, translating Latin, knowing that Tommy's family crest documented descent from East Prussian Royalty, knowing that autodidaktisch meant self-educated. Yeah, good old Bobby is back solving crimes. He still looks sad around the eyes and in his body language, but he's pushing/working through the pain.

When the case worker was describing the two brothers, I felt so sad for Bobby. She described the younger one as being so sweet…so sad. Gee, who does that sound like?

And everyone is commenting about the Ron Carver “look-alike” – dare I say – clone? What was up with that? It was so...lame. If they need a district attorney, so be it, but – come on, don’t crap on the loyal fans who have been watching this show for...like...ever. We watch this show under a microscope. We know things. We catch things…the obvious – which this was – and the more obscure. So, grow an imagination, or go buy some creativity...that's all I'm saying.

I knew from the outset that Tommy could not have killed his mom…for the same reasons Bobby noted in his “summation.” He was barefoot, the floor was wet, he would have been electrocuted or “seriously” injured had he grabbed hold of the heater and tossed it into the bathtub. What can I say? Bobby and I would make a terrific team.

It was sad…the way it ended. Tommy learned that he had murdered his brother for…you know…nothing. He didn’t come back to destroy his brother’s life…he was dying and wanted atonement...forgiveness. Those were things Frank never sought from Bobby.

Well, that's my "quick and dirty" look at "Identity Crisis." Now, we can move onto some photos I snagged from the episode. There's a little something for everyone; i.e., a few of Eames and maybe one or two of Ross, but...as you may well imagine...it's mostly Bobby.