Friday, November 7, 2008

"Crazy" Quotes

This was the very first LOCI episode I ever saw, so naturally it is a “sentimental” favorite of mine. I did a post back in January, explaining how my LOCI Obsession began, so I won’t go into details here. Suffice to say, this was the first…of what was to become…many, many exposures to that phenomenon known as Detective Robert Goren.

The first thing I noticed with this episode has absolutely nothing to do with Bobby, however, but rather one of the guest stars. The actress who plays the dead guy’s ex-wife also appears in two other episodes in later years. She shows up again in Season 4 in “My Good Name” as the pushy campaign manager, then in Season 6 as serial killer (and Bobby’s biological father) Mark Ford Brady’s attorney in "Endgame." All I can say is LOCI and the rest of the franchise must be a good gig for New York actors.

Now, on to the reason for this post as we find the ever vigilant Bobby examining the crime scene. He immediately notices the scuff marks on the murder victim’s knees and deduces that he was leaning over the toilet when he was shot. Then he kneels and “sniffs” the gin. Detective Bobby... he’s so smart.

Anybody else notice how Bobby always manages to “check out” the women's breasts he’s interviewing/questioning? Most times, it’s just a fleeting glance, but those big brown eyes invariably drop to the chest area of the lucky woman with whom he’s talking. I'm thinking that's as much a Vincent D'Onofrio "thing" as a character trait. Or, perhaps it's just a "guy" thing.

We learn that Bobby knows how to "share" as evidenced when he tells the clerk who brings him the custody hearing transcript to “help yourself” to his lunch…I think it was fries. I, for one, wouldn’t have to think twice about “helping myself” to Bobby.

"Crazy" Part I


I always have to chuckle when I hear Bobby say to the nurse that they don’t want her to say anything she’s not comfortable with. How he can deliver that line with a straight face is beyond me. He’s a cop. More specifically, he's Bobby, and he's on the hunt for a killer, so I truly don't believe he cares if she’s comfortable or not.

Ah, my sweet Bobby makes the obvious conclusion; i.e., the wife did it. It had to be her, right? She thought her ex-husband was molesting their daughter, so Bobby did his best to "coax" a confession from her when they questioned her about the supposed molestation. Sometimes he and/or Eames have a tendency to rush to judgment, which just goes to show that even Bobby makes a mistake now and again.

It was different to see Michael Gross…the affable, amiable dad on “Family Ties”…playing this creeped-out, weirdo, pathetic weasel of a man. Although, he portrayed the part quite convincingly. I was more than a little surprised when he had the gumption to try and put a hit out on Goren and Eames, and then when Stovic refuses, he turns all paranoid on him. Creepy little worm.

"Crazy" Part II


I loved the scene in the Judge's chambers when Webb asked if somebody would please tell Goren to stop looking at him; especially since Bobby was only doing it to annoy the guy in the first place. Intolerable indeed. Actually, Bobby didn’t say a word in that scene, but his presence was “speaking” nonetheless.

It looks like the cop in the SVU in Westchester got a transfer to a different squad because she looks like the detective who helped out in “Vanishing Act” this past season. I could be wrong, but it sure looks like the same woman to me.

It was cute when the ME told Bobby his "gut" had not failed him, and he promptly corrected her by giving Eames the proper credit.

"Crazy" Part III


I got a kick out of Bobby saying “wee wee” when he was reading from the caseworker’s transcript of his interview with Sophie? I mean he’s reading it out loud in the middle of the Major Case squad room for cryin’ out loud.

My first job out of college was a teacher in a day care center, so I got used to sitting in teeny tiny chairs to be on the same level with the kids. So, it was cute to see Bobby affix his tall drink of water frame onto the kid-sized chair/stool when talking with Sophie. In fact, that whole scene with Sophie was interesting to watch…how he went about gaining her trust with the crayon behind the ear “trick” to easing her into conversation. Yeah, he’s a sweet-talker, that’s for sure.

I found Carver’s droll sense of humor amusing when he told the doc’s lawyer that they were not “too far apart” on a plea. The lawyer proposes six months in a psychiatric hospital followed by quarterly evaluations whereas Carver proposes murder two and twenty-five years in Sing Sing.

"Crazy" Part IV


Ah, we find out that Bobby “knows about love.” Makes one wonder, doesn’t it? Especially later on when… still talking about love…he said he’d "been there," that every man in the room had.

I have to admit that it was a little disheartening to hear Bobby’s assessment of Charlie…mainly because I’m nearly as pathetic as he with a couple of exceptions. I’m 56 instead of 58, never been married, so the divorce doesn’t apply. The rest, however, fits me to a tee. No kids, I’m staring at the abyss of old age, with no one to love, no one to love me, and I’ve got nothing but my career to get me out of the bed in the morning, and sometimes that’s not enough. Yep, this part of Bobby’s aria is a touch on the "hard to swallow" side for me.

Carver had the closing lines in this one…good ones, too…when he said to the lawyer that his client wasn’t insane…he was in love and that it might be hard to tell the difference, but the law could.

"Crazy" Part V


All in all…a pretty good episode. Next up..."The Insider." As I recall, I liked this episode pretty much; we learn some new stuff about Bobby...and Eames...in this one.