Thursday, December 6, 2007

I Survived!!

Well, the long awaited, much anticipated, big, bad, nasty, "mothah" of an SBA program review audit is officially...over. Yeah!!! We came through in great shape. Out of about a gazillion exhibits and items we are supposed to document, they found only three areas they considered to be "deficient." All three are easily fixable and I’ve already taken steps to do just that.

My boss, who seldom hands out compliments, told me today how much he appreciated all I had done and actually said they could not have gotten through the audit without me. That made me feel good. Like I said, he’s not one to express gratitude for one doing one’s job…which is what I was doing…what I’m paid to do.

The auditors themselves were actually quite friendly. They did not come through the door with the attitude that they were there to pick us apart, looking specifically for things we were doing incorrectly. There were four of them…and one of me. They would each review a file…they had picked 30 out of our portfolio of 355 to review…then bring it to my office for me to “cure.” Basically, if there was an item missing or “unacceptable,” they noted it on a form, and my job was to either locate the item or make an argument as to why SBA should accept the exhibit item as presented. I won some...I lost some.

My office looked like a file cabinet had exploded…files everywhere. I have a great staff, however, and they helped me as much as they could, but after three interminable days of answering the same "deficiencies" over and over, I was happy to see the auditors walk out the door. This was the first time…in 25 years…that SBA had conducted this type of in-depth review of the agency’s files, so – all things considered – we did good. It was a great learning experience and next time...well...next time, I'll be ready for 'em.

The auditors went on and on…I mean they raved about how well organized our files were. One guy even said it was a pleasure to review them, so I’m thinkin’ this dude needs to get a life. I’m taking credit for the condition of our files and all I have to say about that is...sometimes being anally obsessive compulsive is a good thing.

By way of celebration, Dave invited the entire office out for a drink after work this evening. I’ve just started my 11th year here, and this is the first time that has happened.

So, after two weeks of being SBA’s “audit bitch,” I can return to my regular work life. But after putting in 57 hours last week and 43 hours through today this week, Dave gave me tomorrow off…with pay…and I don’t have to count it against my vacation or personal time. Sometimes Dave can be a good egg.

Now, I’m just sitting around, writing this for my blog, and putting in my time until 10:00p.m. rolls around and I can watch my Bobby-boy go all “Untethered.” This is my reward for a job well-done...a visit with Bobby. (I wish.) Anyway, I’m just hoping I can stay awake…‘cuz that adrenaline-rush I’ve been living on the past two weeks is fading fast.

No comments: