Thursday, May 29, 2008

Perverts, Deviants, & Obscene Calls...Oh My!

I awaken every morning and reach for the TV remote first thing to check out the weather forecast, so I know how to plan for the day. Now, before I can get to said forecast, I am invariably bombarded with a litany of the vast array of shootings, stabbings, murders, rapes, home invasions and other such wickedness that was perpetrated overnight whilst I was in the midst of a peaceful slumber. This morning’s lead story, however, is – perhaps – the most "unusual" one I’ve encountered in a long, long while.

It seems that a woman was sitting at a library table on the University of Cincinnati campus last night when she suddenly became aware that her feet felt…wet. So, she looked down and there, under the table, was a man on his knees spraying a "watery-like" substance from a syringe onto her shoes. Hand to God…true story.

Turns out, the guy had a digital camera with him, and when the police checked it out, they found pictures of the lady’s feet on it. The perp told the police that it was a new camera, and he was just...learning how to use it. (Yep, that's what I'd do with a new camera...head straighway to the library to stalk people and snap photos of their feet. Doesn't everyone?) The University cop who arrested the guy was quoted as saying, “There’s really no way to explain people’s fetishes.” How true, how true.

Now, as these things sometimes have a way of doing, this story reminded me of something that happened to me many, many years ago, long before I moved to Cincinnati. I guess the point I will ultimately make is that one does not necessarily have to live in a large metropolitan area to encounter deviants…they’re pretty much everywhere. Also, it is entirely possible that a “foot fetish” may not be an altogether uncommon fixation and can, in fact, be fodder for a mildly amusing anecdote.

One evening, my friend…Sara…and I ventured over to the mall in Ashland, Kentucky to shop and eat and hang out. You know, the usual things one does at the mall. The entrance is one of those double door entries where you open one set of doors and there is a small area that traps the hot/cold air before you go through the next set of doors. Well, in the open area between the two doors, against the wall to the right, was a couple of pay phones.

So, Sara and I were chatting away as I pulled open the first door to go inside, but as I stepped across the threshold, one of the phones began to ring. There was no one standing around like they were expecting a call back or anything, so I decided to answer the phone. You know, be helpful and tell the caller they had either dialed a wrong number or let them know their intended recipient was nowhere to be seen.

Before I could impart either of these messages, however, this deep, throaty, raspy masculine voice on the other end of the phone whispers lowly, slowly and deliberately, “Your feet…your feet.”

My reaction? Well, I was momentarily taken aback because, quite frankly, that was not what I was expecting...by any stretch of the imagination. Then, I just burst out laughing and said to the caller, “Listen, you really have a wrong number.”

To which the guy replied…even more emphatically, “No, your feet…YOUR FEET!”

Later, when I recounted this tale to my mother, she asked me what I did and I said, “I hung up. He was starting with my feet…I didn’t care to find out where he was going next.”

Ah, well. My one and only obscene phone call in 56 years, and I stumble upon it...by accident...at a pay phone...in a mall vestibule...in Ashland, Kentucky...and the pervert wants to talk about...my feet.

It could only happen to me.

12 comments:

Music Wench said...

Well, I've never received an obscene phone call, thank goodness! This story is enough to remind me never to answer a ringing pay phone when no one else is around. ;)

Anonymous said...

I once realised some guy sitting beside me in a cinema was busy groping those little metal studs on the front pocket of my Levi jeans. I had my coat over my lap, and didn't realise what he was doing. when I did, I slapped his hand and he moved - fast!

Eliza said...

I have never had a dirty phone call,thankfully..although I guess there is still time LOL

I don't ever answer the phone if I can help it...thats what my kids are for!!

jazzy said...

from time to time i receive those phone calls. it's never vincent who is on the phone. isn't that unfair and meaning??

val said...

My first ever answering machine had a rather suggestive outgoing message, and some kids happened on it by chance. Stupidly, they left a dirty message then left their number for me to phone back! Their mum was not amused.

When we first had a phone, MY mum had it listed in her name, and she got a few crank calls, the weirdest, though, was someone asking her what she thought about the first moon landing (which had just happened). It was until after she'd rung off that she realised what had just happened.

tate31nym said...

We got a phone call at the store this afternoon from a customer asking if he could return an adult DVD because it didn't, uh, do the trick. He began to explain why it was not, uh, provacative enough, but luckily my cashier cut him off.

I think we're going to start writing these things down and then later write a book called something like, "The things customers ask..." About 90% of them would be related to our adult entertainment sections.

Anonymous said...

a friend had a caller asking about her boobs and whether they stayed upright when she was horizontal or flopped either side... we were in hysterics the way she told it

Anonymous said...

p.s. now if he was talking shoes...

BobbyG said...

Hey Tate, funny story. I bet you could write an hysterical book. The things people say and do...go figure.

Off topic, how did you take the news when your guy officially retired from baseball?

tate31nym said...

I'm not 100% sure that it's really sunk in. I mean, I knew it was coming, sooner or later... I'm pretty bummed that I won't be seeing him this summer. What I think is unfortunate is he got like, one day of press, and then was as forgotton as yesterday's newspaper. But, that's pretty much the story of his career. I'm just glad I ended up picking a classy guy to follow and I am already planning my trip to Cooperstown in a few years. In the meantime, I have PLENTY of memorabilia to help remember the good times.
(http://www.geocities.com/tate31nym/tatepiazza.jpg is my collection circa year 2000 or so)

BobbyG said...

Tate: Sorry it took me so long to reply to this...I'm not myself these days. Anyway, my guy was Johnny Bench...always has been and always will be my all time favorite ball player. I still remember when he retired. They had a big night for him at Riverfront Stadium and I was there. He hit a Home Run...it was a perfect way to go out. Too bad Mike didn't have the same chance. He had a great career that will be remembered by many. You're right...you picked a classy guy to follow.

tate31nym said...

Yeah, Piazza didn't really get that last curtain call - however I think the fans recognized at the end of each of his seasons that it could be his last. The New Yorkers gave him a fantastic sendout when he left, and the Oakland fans certainly showed their admiration/appreciation after his last at bat last season. Nothing spectacular, but I'll remember the moments.

Johnny Bench is a good guy too. My dad has a horror story about trading his rookie card for some subpar-nobody-Yankee... Silly kids. At least he didn't keep it and put it on his bike spokes like he did with his Nolan Ryan rookie... When I was a kid I drew a picture of Piazza/Bench, Rodriguez/Berra and some sports card magazine published it, that was fun.

At any rate, baseball is definitely still my thing, and I only wish I could turn on a game right now instead of ironing my pants and going in to work - much better way to spend a Saturday evening than selling movies to hordes of people ;)