Sunday, April 12, 2009

Top 50 Best Movie Deaths

Well, before I could return to my screencapping of "Maledictus," I received a Google Alert on Vincent D'Onofrio in which the "Top 50 Best Movie Deaths" are discussed and depicted in all their bloody glory. It's quite a thorough listing, counting down from 50 to Number 1, and each includes a brief lead-in and video of the death scene. Admittedly, I have not seen most of these movies, including "Full Metal Jacket," for which VDO gets the nod for Number 10 on the list.

I suppose I really should watch this one, but I have to be in a "certain" mood to watch a war movie; especially since I know this one deals primarily with boot camp. And that means there will be lots of yelling and screaming and swearing and demoralizing the human spirit...hence...I suspect the reason that leads to Private Pyle's demise.

10. PISSING OFF PRIVATE PYLE
FULL METAL JACKET (1987)
We're sure he's a lovely fella, but we would not like to meet Vincent D'Onofrio. He's probably kind to children and maybe even donates a large part of his Law and Order paycheque to charities involved in rescuing damp kittens. Nevertheless, his Private Pyle creeps us out. Driven crazy by the intense training and the other recruits' tormenting, Pyle is found in the barracks bathroom by Matthew Modine's Joker and R. Lee Ermey's Gunnery Sergeant Hartman. Two retorts from Charlene later, and only Modine is left standing.



Here is the link, in case you want to check out the others. Does anyone else find it morbidly "ironic" that the author/website released this on Easter Sunday?