Thursday, July 30, 2009

Vincent D'Onofrio Talks About "Little New York"

I saw this in a Google Alert on my lunch hour today and wanted to post it then, but work has been an "absolute zoo" this week. As my daddy was wont to say, "I have been busier than a one-armed paper hanger." I could not even watch it that closely because people kept coming into my office...again...which was supposed to be my lunch hour, which turned into more like a lunch quarter-hour.

Anyway, this is a fantastic interview with Vincent D'Onofrio talking about how he crafted the character and his take on how we live in a "desperate" society these days. He is not entirely wrong on that point. I thought he sounded great and looked even better...the hair, the beard, the "talking" with his hands, and the little tuft of chest hair peeking out the top of his open shirt. "Ooh, la, la!"

I am on the bubble as to whether I want to see this movie or not, however, because after "The Godfather" parts I and II...I was pretty much "done" with "gangstah" movies. I don't particularly care for the blood and the gore and the violence and the use of the "F" word every other breath. Don't get me wrong, much to my dear departed mother's chagrin, that word has been a part of my vocabulary since my "salad days." I try, however, to make use of it sparingly...for emphasis...to drive home a point...for when the situation is so completely "frustrating" that no other possible word can satisfactorily express my displeasure...then I let it rip. I just don't care to be "pelted" with the word every five seconds from a movie screen or my own television, but that's just me.

And while I may not be inclined to watch the movie, I certainly have no such reservation to listening to Vincent "talk" about it. I could listen to that voice all day and into the night...and then some.