Saturday, July 4, 2009

Land Of The Free, Home Of The Brave

I had not given much thought to a "Happy 4th of July" post this year, but then I received an email a couple of days ago that made it very simple for me. Last year, I did two posts; one of a "traditional" nature I called God Bless The USA and another in which I described My Most Memorable 4th of July. If you are the least bit interested in those, just follow the links. If nothing else, it will make it easier for me to find them...if I want to.

So, another year has come and gone. A lot has happened here and around the world...some good...some not so good. Sometimes, we Americans do and say things that make me hang my head in shame...then there are other times when we come shining brightly through in ways that bring me to tears. Such is life...I suppose. But when all is said and done...even with all its warts and flaws and blemishes and bad political decisions...there is no other place I'd rather be than right here in the good ol' U S of A.


As I mentioned at the outset, I received a "topical" email to use in my "rah-rah" post this year. It highlights some of the signers of the Declaration of Independence and the sacrifices they made to ensure the freedoms we Americans enjoy today. So, please indulge this brief history lesson regarding our "Founding Fathers" and their fight for Independence. (Note: If you click on their names, you can see their picture and a short bio.)

******************************
Have you ever wondered what happened to the 56 men who signed the Declaration of Independence? Five signers were captured by the British as traitors, and tortured before they died. Twelve had their homes ransacked and burned. Two lost their sons serving in the Revolutionary Army; another had two sons captured.

Nine of the 56 fought and died from wounds or hardships of the Revolutionary War. They signed and they pledged their lives, their fortunes, and their sacred honor. What kind of men were they?

Twenty-four were lawyers and jurists. Eleven were merchants, nine were farmers and large plantation owners; men of means, well educated, but they signed the Declaration of Independence knowing full-well that the penalty would be death if they were captured.

Carter Braxton of Virginia, a wealthy planter and trader, saw his ships swept from the seas by the British Navy. He sold his home and properties to pay his debts, and died in rags.

Thomas McKeam was so hounded by the British that he was forced to move his family almost constantly. He served in the Congress without pay, and his family was kept in hiding. His possessions were taken from him, and poverty was his reward.

Vandals or soldiers looted the properties of Ellery, Hall, Clymer, Walton, Gwinnett, Heyward, Rutledge, and Middleton.

At the battle of Yorktown, Thomas Nelson, Jr., noted that the British General Cornwallis had taken over the Nelson home for his headquarters. He quietly urged General George Washington to open fire. The home was destroyed, and Nelson died bankrupt.

Francis Lewis had his home and properties destroyed. The enemy jailed his wife, and she died within a few months.

John Hart was driven from his wife's bedside as she was dying. Their 13 children fled for their lives. His fields and his gristmill were laid to waste. For more than a year, he lived in forests and caves, returning home to find his wife dead and his children vanished.

So, take a few minutes while enjoying your 4th of July holiday and silently thank these patriots. It's not much to ask for the price they paid. Remember: freedom is never free! Patriotism is not a sin, and the Fourth of July has more to it than beer, picnics, and baseball games.

******************************
The line that jumped out at me was, "They pledged their lives, their fortunes, and their sacred honor." Their "sacred" honor. Honor is an attribute lacking in so many people these days, I just thought it was worth repeating.

Anyway, last year, I posted videos of the singing of "God Bless The USA" and "God Bless America." This year, I am going to conclude with a video of the singing of "The Star Spangled Banner." It is by no means an easy song to sing and, having attended way more than my fair share of professional sporting events in my life, I have heard the song sung beautifully and, conversely, "butchered" by many an amateur vocalist. (One of these days, I'm going to do a post about that, too.)

In my search of YouTube for an appropriate video, I was happy to find several versions by one of my favorite artists...Josh Groban. This young man is in a word...amazing...and his rendition is exquisite. And, yes, it brought me to tears and made me...for the moment anyway...proud to be an American.


With thanks to Carrie1958, who so thoughtfully shared this video.