Friday, July 4, 2008

God Bless The U.S.A.

Well, I had not planned to do a typical I'm proud to be an American, red, white and blue "rah rah" post today, and yet here I am doing precisely that. Later, I plan to do a post about my favorite 4th of July of all time, but for now here is the "typical" one. No offense to my blogging friends from the U.K. It was a thing...it happened. We're all friends and allies now.

I'm not big on making "political" statements. I'll leave that to those of you who are far more knowledgeable and eloquent in that arena than am I. I am not, however, always proud of some of the things our political leaders do in the name of democracy or freedom. I happen to agree with Music Wench's 4th of July post in that there are times when I do not necessarily love my government, but I do love my country.

So, on this day, when I am reminded that I live in a land that was founded for such basic and noble things as religious freedom...that, as a nation, "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator, with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness," (No, that's not the "Age of Aquarius" by the Fifth Dimension...that's our Declaration of Independence) then I guess when all is said and done...at the end of the day...I have to admit that, yes, I am indeed "Proud To Be An American."

Perhaps these videos I found on YouTube can best express the sentiment felt by Americans throughout the land on this 4th of July. The first is a series of photos put together to the music of "God Bless The U.S.A" sung by Lee Greenwood and posted by steev1969. The second is Martina McBride singing "God Bless America," and it was posted by mikel9955.




5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy 4th of July to our former colony!

Music Wench said...

Great post! I know we've taken some lumps in the past 8 years but I've been watching The Revolution on the History Channel this morning and it never ceases to amaze me. The things we accomplished in this country. We've face much worse and came out on top.

I am proud to be an American.

BASRIC said...

You are eloquent enough. I also agree with Music Wench and with you.
Our country is in trouble, new leadership is needed, I hope the one chosen has the ability to turn things around. Nice videos

BobbyG said...

The Lee Greenwood song always gets me all teary-eyed. There was a time I REFUSED to listen to country music...bad memories from a relationship gone sour. But then I was dating this guy, who was a retired veteran, and he MADE me listen to it. I realized it wasn't a country song, but a song about our country...our spirit...our people. It saw a resurgence after 9-11 and was played almost as much as The Star Spangled Banner and God Bless America.

As for God Bless America, I used to think the only person who could belt out that tune was Kate Smith. And while, I will always love her rendition of the song, Martina McBride has such range. I love her voice. So, when I found this, I had to use it.

Happy 4th of July.

Eliza said...

At least you are allowed to be proud of your country,as you should be.Over here,we aren't even supposed to fly a flag on St George's day..about the only day we have where we could maybe celebrate being English...for fear of offending someone.

Ok,I'm finished now,sorry.Hope you had a great 4th July!!!