Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Full Metal Jacket - Part I

I divided this part of the interview into two videos because each one is a little over five minutes long. As the title implies, this portion of the "In Conversation" interview is devoted to VDO's experience in the movie "Full Metal Jacket." I have never watched this movie...for several reasons. I have, however, watched "the" scene in the latrine when Private Pyle has his -- "I've had all I can stands, I can't stands no more," -- meltdown. Powerful stuff.

The moderator comments that Stanley Kubrick had a reputation for being a methodical, time-consuming type of director...especially when it came to selecting actors. He asked Vincent to share his experience with the casting process, how long it took, etc. And his response can be seen...and heard...below.

Video


Slideshow

Again, I apologize for a few "blurred" fingers and hands, but the expression on his face was just too good to delete. That would be...you know...scandalous. Part II will be posted as soon as I can find the time to screen cap that segment.

7 comments:

Ruby said...

These are SO priceless, BobbyG! Thank you SO MUCH for sharing!!!

BobbyG said...

You're welcome, Ruby. Am so glad everyone who stops by seems to be enjoying these. Of course, this does not begin to compare with the wonderful photos and videos you have been posting on the Vinnie Vidi Vici blog from when you...and several other fans...saw his recent performance at Joe's Pub.

Ruby said...

Oh, that's so sweet, BobbyG! Thank you! I'm SO glad you're enjoying them! But then, anything featuring Vincent can't help but be spectacular, right??

Anonymous said...

I saw 'FMJ' when it was released, and vowed 'Never again' so I was horrified to have to sit through all the 'nasty' bits on the Special Edition DVD a couple of years ago while Vincent talked about the movie....

TJara said...

I've seen it once and don't think I can take another session with it. His bits are just *ouch* and it's not my kind of movie.

Without your effort, BobbyG, we wouldn't be seeing these. So thank you :)

Music Wench said...

I think you're wonderful for putting in the time to share these with us! I saw it last night and started to watch but then got interrupted so I came back to watch again.

I think FMJ is the best movie about Vietnam and the complete horror of the experience. However, my husband and I both agree that the BEST part of the movie would be when Vincent and R. Lee Eremy were on.

Thanks again!

Leigh said...

VDO was so fantastic in this movie, you would never know it was so early in his career. He breaks my heart so many times in it, especially when the other soldiers attack him with the soap in the socks - so incredibly sad, and tough to watch.