Thursday, June 25, 2009

"Faith" Quotes

Right off the bat, I have to say that this is one of my least favorite Law & Order CI episodes of all time, albeit the fans who rated the episode at TV.com disagree with me; they gave it a “superb” rating. Different strokes, I suppose. I don’t know…perhaps it has something to do with the title and the fact that my “Faith” is sadly lacking these days. But, Bobby is in it, after all, so it cannot be a complete throwaway. Let’s see what sort of gems await the faithful viewers.

To start, the usual “disclaimer” at the beginning states that the episode is based in part on a true story. I don’t usually cap much of the opening bit when the “actual” murder is committed, and I won’t be doing it for this one, but something happens in the opening segments that has always confused me. Barb/Erica hands the victim a letter and says if he wants to meet with Erica in person, he’ll have to sign that. He reads it, is highly offended and loses his temper, but we never get to see what that letter stipulated. I hate it when that happens.

I know I’ve said it before, but I’ll say it again, I love watching Bobby and Eames (okay, mostly Bobby) work a crime scene. Bobby's line about the killer being almost “neurotically anxious” about hiding her tracks after the murder. Well, all I have to say about that is a big ol’ “duh.” I’m pretty sure I’d be obsessively neurotically “beside myself” with mind numbing terror if I ever lost control of myself and actually murdered someone.

"Faith" Slideshow - Part I


Ah, here comes Eames with the sardonic retort. When the sales clerk at the jewelry store comments that the inscription on the bracelet is, "So romantic, don't you think?," Eames comes back with a saucy, "You don't want to know what I think." I love the expression that crosses Bobby's face in reaction to that statement.

I wonder why the guy who tells them about the book about Erica doesn’t find it suspicious that Eames doesn’t know the name of the book her partner has “been after her” to get into.

Ah, another instance where Bobby “almost” says my name. Well, he says the first half anyway when he talks about ALS; i.e., “Lou” Gehrig’s Disease.

Okay, I find it absolutely absurd that the editor did not have a phone number for her “author,” regardless of the dire circumstances they painted of Erica’s life, but that's just me. Just look at the sexy, flirtatious smile Bobby "wastes" on that silly woman... Christine.

"Faith" Slideshow - Part II


I thought Deakins was going to throw an aneurysm or, at the very least, swallow his tongue when Bobby asked “Erica” how ALS had affected her menstruation. My Bobby…bless his heart…knows no boundaries, especially when it comes to catching a criminal. How clever of him to figure out that Erica was a fake. He's so smart.

Gee, I wonder what talk show “book club” Carver was talking about. Can you say...Oprah? And I do believe this is the first time Carver ever mentioned his wife.

I’m finding several scenes and lines that I’ve never really paid attention to…because, as I’ve already said, I didn’t care for the episode all that much. For instance, Bobby’s line about the professor having two bestsellers and four wives and that “apparently” he liked the ladies and vice-versa. I’ve got news for Bobby…the ladies like you, too, darlin'.

"Faith" Slideshow - Part III


I’ve got to say, I have no recollection of the scene where Eames goes up to the professor, pretending to be a graduate student. I loved watching Bobby “sneak” into the background by pretending to check out items on the bulletin board behind the professor. Well, knowing Bobby, he probably was checking out the items on the bulletin board. He can’t help himself. Even in the background, Vincent D’Onofrio, “chews” the scenery and takes center stage. I was more engrossed in watching his movements than anything Eames or the professor were saying...that's probably why I don't remember Eames.

Here’s a question: why didn’t they just tell the professor who they were and what they wanted? I understand there are times when they have to play their “games” with people from whom they’re seeking information, but I don’t “get it” with this guy. I don't know...maybe the “role” playing just helps break up the monotony of solving the case.

Ah, and one of the few times Bobby refers to Eames by her “given” name…Alex.

Leave it to smart Bobby to "outsmart" the Professor…or at least know as much as the guy. When Cantler starts quoting some fancy-schmancy “theorem,” Bobby finishes the quote for him. How does he remember it all?

This is the first time I noticed that Bobby took his check back from the pharmacist after they busted him. He does it in one smooth, fluid motion, with this “look” on his face, like, “I’ll just be taking that back, buddy.” I wish I knew how to “capture” entire clips of an episode because this is one snippet I’d like to archive. He’s just so darned cute.

"Faith" Slideshow - Part IV


Ooh…here’s an eerie line from Bobby. He and Eames are interrogating Barb, the “alleged” foster mother. In response to something she says, Bobby says he’s just a natural born skeptic, followed by, “Maybe I haven’t had enough "tragedy" in my life—” Wait a few years, baby, the tragedy is going to find you soon enough and forever change your life.

Don’t you just love watching Bobby lay a trap for a criminal? For instance, the methodical way he goes about placing a trail of gravel from her driveway around the edge of the table. The man is talking about about "gravel," and I could listen to him all day. Yeah, I’m an idiot.

"Faith" Slideshow - Part V


As I watch this again…frame by frame…I guess the reason I disliked this episode so much was because the perp…for all that she was supposed to be this powerful, smart and sophisticated New York editor…turned out to be a stupid and gullible dupe who was completely hornswoggled by the likes of Barb and Toby.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, it never ceases to amaze me how easily Bobby can lie to suspects and witnesses. It never shows on his face, and he is “very” convincing. I don’t know that I could ever believe anything he told me was truthful. Just look at the avaricious expression on the greedy Barb’s face. She’s almost licking her lips at the thoughts of a $2 million insurance payout. Gotcha!

"Faith" Slideshow - Part VI


And thank you, Bobby, for your line about “beauty won’t help.” One of these days, I am going to launch into a long and vitriolic “rant” on this blog about “beauty” and its perception in this ugly world. But that is for another time.

For my quotes, I omitted a bunch of the frantically spoken “Ericas” from Christine. I mean, just how dumb is the woman to not know that, once the person who initiated the call hangs up, the line is disconnected. See what I mean about this episode? This is one perp for whom I do not feel sorry...not one little bit.

I don’t know, perhaps even more “clueless” was Barb when she asked Carver when she was going to get “her” insurance money for helping with the charade to entrap Christine. And she looked so incredulous when she found out that “they” had lied to “her.” Some people.

As usual, Eames get the parting, closing "jibe" when she says that "Erica" will be so disappointed in "them" meaning Barb and Christine.

"Faith" Slideshow - Part VII


The next series of posts and quotes will be for the final episode of Season 1, "Tuxedo Hill." With Bernie Madoff coming up for sentencing next week, I can't decide if that's timely or just plain ironic. Or maybe it just has to do with the innate greedy nature of some people.