Saturday, June 27, 2009

"Family Values" Recap

The first thing I have to say about this episode is that I am "officially" tired of the religious themed storylines. I thought this was a very good episode and Bobby was in “prime” form; especially at the end. But, for the record, I feel compelled to say that not everyone who believes in God is an irrational, homophobic, fanatical, murdering lunatic...all evidence to the contrary if one is to believe Dick Wolf and his bevy of writers.

Second, right off the bat, I noticed “three” repeat guest stars. Besides the obvious David Harbour, who played the charismatic “master thief” in “Silver Lining” back in Season 4, there were two others. Susan/Susie Misner, who played Harbour’s wife in this one, also co-starred in “Smothered” in Season 1 and “Acts of Contrition” in Season 5. And Karen Ziemba, the gay drama teacher, co-starred in D.A.W. in Season 3 as the doctor’s love interest. You know, the way they recycle actors on Law & Order CI and the other two Dick Wolf shows, I have to wonder what will happen to them all when the franchises finally leave the air.

And third, just how stupid do the writers think we are? The bad guy’s name is Paul Devildis. I’ll repeat that…D-E-V-I-L…dis. Yeah, he's the devil. We got that when he bashed in his brother-in-law’s head. I’m sure the eight of hearts that was prominently displayed on Paul’s workbench when he was constructing the pipe bomb was meant to have some symbolic meaning as to Paul’s psyche as well, but my interest has not been piqued enough to inspire me to research it.

After eight years, I never tire of hearing Bobby say, “Just one last thing.” It is good to know that some things never change, don't you agree? He says this in the beginning when he and Eames are interviewing Paul and his wife and it happens to be another one of those scenes when the observant (translation...obsessive) viewer can tell that he is "fidgeting" about. It's a head shot of Bobby, but one can see his shoulder “vibrating” because he is bouncing that nervous leg of his.

I’m liking Ross better again now that he seems to have rid himself of that enormous chip he’d been carrying on his shoulder earlier this season. Guess he had to have time to get over Bobby’s “face off” in his office during “Frame.” For example, when Bobby states he’s pretty sure they’re dealing with a first offender, Ross accepts Bobby’s assessment without making some sarcastic comeback. Lately, every time Bobby says something, Ross makes a snarky comment, so I am glad to see that is changing. They’re on good enough terms for Bobby to do some of the briefings, too.

Looks like the effects of aging are starting to creep up on my guy, too. Have you noticed him stretching reading items to arm's length? It happens to all of us...eventually. After all, the eyes are the first things to go...so they say.

How "convenient" that the daughter turns on the radio at just the right moment to learn that her mother has been murdered...no reaction, by the way...and that “Daddy” was wanted by the police for questioning. I understand she recognizes that her father is acting strangely, but to make that leap to think he is a psychotic murderer… she’s astute for her age. And then when she tried to run away…I knew she was doomed. I mean, I’ve watched enough B-movies to know that running into the woods away from the “bad guy” never bodes well for the heroine.

I guess it was Eames’ turn to use the walkie-talkie this week since Bobby had it last time. And this stakeout was orchestrated a good deal better than the previous one.

Okay, I’m all for the “heroine” taking control of her destiny and having the presence of mind to leave clues for her rescuers to follow, but...come on. Really? Did you check out the “perfect” symmetrical drawing of the box with the cross? I can’t draw that well freehand, and she had her hands tied behind her back, could not see what she was doing, and was in fear for her life from her maniacal father. And when Ross asked “what it was” and Bobby said, “You tell us,” was he being sincere, or playing with the captain, or just “including” him in their investigation?

My new favorite LOCI moment…at least for the time being…has to be watching the look of determination on Bobby’s face as he marches over to Paul and grasps him by the shoulder and leads him away from the others. Talk about being taken out to the woodshed. Although, did you notice that somewhere along the walk from the driveway to inside the cabin, Bobby shed his gloves and scarf?

In all the years I’ve watched this show, I’ve never been able to determine if Bobby believes in God or not. He certainly knows a lot of scripture and Biblical stories and their interpretation regardless. I know I would not want to engage in a theological discussion with the man, but then I don't discuss religion with too many people.

This was quintessential Bobby at his best. When he “tricked” Paul into revealing that his daughter was still alive, he let him know it with a cocky, “Now I do.” All the intimidation techniques were back…like standing behind the perp and talking into his ear, and badgering him to say the name of the one who told him to kill his family and the others, right up to the full-on frontal assault— Oh, yeah…my Bobby is most definitely back.

Lots and lots of very nice close-ups of Bobby during his "aria," however, have you noticed those once perfect teeth (caps... whatever) are starting to show a little wear and tear? One of his front teeth (the one on the left if you are looking at him straight on) appears to be a little "shorter" and there is a small space starting to appear to the right of the other one. I noticed it a while ago, but shied away from saying anything, lest I get hung in effigy for daring to imply that he is less than perfect. Hey, no one enjoys a trip to the dentist.

Everyone is talking about how Bobby looks like a big ol' cuddly "teddy bear" in that coat he is wearing in the final scene, and I do not disagree. But, if they all skedaddled straightaway from the cabin to the cemetery to rescue the fair damsel in distress, then where did it come from? He was wearing his overcoat at the cabin. Guess he was carrying a backup in the SUV, huh?

Well, the good news is we get another Goren/Eames episode this week, and it looks like it's going to get "personal" with Eames. Let's see, "A brutal murder brings out skeletons in Eames' closet." Hmm...she always comes across as a bit of a prude and holier than thou, so this should be interesting. I also can't wait to see her reaction to Bobby's question, "You slept with him?" Looks intriguing.

And now to the "Family Values" slideshow, and it's another big one...100 photos of Bobby and the rest.