Sunday, April 11, 2010

Dixie Carter - The Ultimate "Designing" Woman

I have been so wrapped up with restoring my laptop to its former working condition and watching the entire second season of "Damages" this weekend that I had not heard the sad news about Dixie Carter passing away yesterday morning. She was 70 years old. That's hard to believe; she always looked so young and vibrant.

I know she has had a long career, but I shall forever remember her as the tough, classy, high-spirited and redoubtable business woman... Julia Sugarbaker. "Designing Women" was one of my all time favorite sitcoms. I loved all four of those big-haired, loud-mouthed, brassy, ballsy, larger than life southern women...until Jean Smart and Delta Burke left the show that is.

Like most shows that undergo a "major" casting change, it lost its appeal after those two cast members departed the show. Hmm? Any other show that recently suffered a similar fate come to mind? Those of you who are avid Law & Order CI fans may or may not know that Tony Goldwyn...Bobby's ne'er-do-well brother, Frank...appeared on "Designing Women" way back in 1987 as a young man, dying of AIDS.

There are so many funny, touching episodes and scenes that come to mind, but since this is a "tribute" of sorts to Dixie Carter, I found a couple of my favorite ones over at YouTube. My all time favorite Julia "tirade" is the one involving her and an IRS agent named Ray Don (that's what I love about the South...everyone is called by both their first and middle names) but I have never been able to find that particular scene on YouTube.

One thing about Julia Sugarbaker...she always endeavored to conduct herself with the deportment of a sophisticated, well-bred, gentile southern lady. Unfortunately for Julia, but fortunately for the viewers, the writers frequently played havoc with that image -- with hilarious results -- by having her walk down a fashion runway with the back of her skirt tucked inside the top of her pantyhose, or getting her head stuck in the banister while decorating the Governor's mansion for some fancy shindig.

Perhaps my favorite episode doesn't involve Julia at all. It's when Suzanne and Anthony (Meshach Taylor) have to share a hotel room in the dead of winter when they get stuck in a snowstorm en route to a design show. Good stuff. Good show.

Good-bye Dixie Carter...you were one classy broad.

In the following clip, Julia takes issue with Charlene for "ratting" her out because Julia heard the rest of the group discussing the case she was hearing on jury duty. Because of Charlene's interference, the jury is sequestered, thereby, putting Julia's upcoming dinner with former President Carter at risk.



Whenever the "girls" and their significant others went away together for a long weekend or vacation...well, let's just say it was always "eventful" and usually provided Julia with an opportunity to freely express her opinion on things.



Finally, perhaps Julia's most memorable "tirade" is her infamous "The Night The Lights Went Out In Georgia" speech. It was no secret that Julia and Suzanne Sugarbaker had an oftentimes tempestuous relationship; they were sisters after all. Though Julia frequently took issue with Suzanne's self-centered, materialistic ways, she was also fiercely protective of her. Though Julia may not have always "liked" her sister, she "loved" her and was the first to rush to her defense...as evidenced in the following video. Blood is truly thicker than water.



Acknowledgments go to DavidLovesDisco, guanabeetv, and SouthTubeGathering respectively for the featured videos.

5 comments:

Music Wench said...

I heard she passed away earlier today. I loved Designing Women! And the snowstorm episode with Suzanne and Anthony was one of my favorites, too! Gosh it was a great show.

And I did love Dixie Carter. She was one classy lady. My hubby used to have a crush on her. lol

I don't remember the Tony Goldwyn episode but I do remember the epis with Julia getting her head stuck in the banister and the the skirt tucked up in her pantyhose. lol

And I also remember how the show stopped interesting me after losing two of it's main characters. History repeats itself, doesn't it?

Ah well, RIP Dixie Carter. And condolences to her husband, Hal Holbrook. I loved them as a couple.

BobbyG said...

Hi Music Wench. Yes, the Abbot banister and "Julia Gets Her Head Stuck In A Fence" is another of my favorite episodes. I almost put a clip up of that one, but Suzanne and Anthony in that hotel room together was a hoot and a half.

The show was always good for a laugh. Sitcoms sure aren't the same these days, are they? And I liked her and Hal Holbrook as a couple, too. He's in his 80's, I believe. Like you said, may she "rest in peace."

Jane said...

Thank You for those Wonderful memories! I was a faithful viewer of Designing Women (until the cast change) There will NEVER be another Julia Sugarbaker...Or Dixie Carter.

Do you remember the episode with her 2 real daughters? They played Julie and Suzanne's nieces, what a treat that was! Too many great memories to count...Hopefully TV Land will do a memorial Designing Women special.

BobbyG said...

Oh yes, Tess. I remember that episode, too. The girls acted like younger versions of Julia and Suzanne, only they couldn't see it. But Charlene and Mary Jo could. Like you said, too many great memories to count.

Another one that comes to mind is when the little girl from Korea (I think) was staying with Suzanne until her adoptive parents could come to Atlanta to pick her up, and Suzanne proceeded to turn her into a miniature version of herself.

And you're right, there will never be another Julia Sugarbaker or Dixie Carter, but what great and fun memories she gave us all. Thanks for commenting.

ann said...

that is such sad news - 70 is no great age today