Monday, September 1, 2008

All About Bella

I first introduced the topic of this post...my great-niece Bella...in November of last year. Well, I spent this last Friday at Children's Hospital here in Cincinnati with my brother and sister-in-law (Harold & Patty, Bella's grandparents) and my nephew and his wife (Mike & Joey, Bella's parents) because this sweet little pixie had to undergo an MRI on her kidneys.

Apparently, she had been complaining that her tummy hurt after she ate certain foods, which prompted her to not want to eat at all. Then she indicated that the pain extended around to her back. A visit to the doctor and a few tests later revealed there is a "mass" behind one of the kidneys which is causing them to grow larger than they should be for her age.

Mike lives in Lexington, but they sent her to Cincinnati because there are two doctors here who specialize in this sort of children's ailment. Since I had taken Friday off anyway, I went over to the hospital to wait with everyone.

Before leaving the apartment, I opened up a plastic tub full of Boyd's Bears (I used to be a huge collector and was known as the "bear aunt" because that's what I gave all my girls at Christmas) and chose a suitable companion for Bella and one for her baby sister, Mallory. Actually, Mallory ended up with a kitty, but since I was promptly informed that "cat" just happens to be her favorite word, it appears that Aunt Lou unwittingly stumbled upon a most excellent choice for Mal-Mal...as her big sister calls her.

When everyone arrived, I asked Joey if it was okay to give her the bear then, or if she preferred I wait until after the MRI. She said it was okay to go ahead and give it to her, and I'm so glad I did. Bella carried that bear around with her the rest of the day. You will note in the picture below that the bear is wearing a matching hospital wrist band and, once she went back for the test, the technician X-rayed the bear...whose Boyd's given name was Orianna, but Bella decided to call Mimi...to make sure she did not contain any metal. Once that was ascertained, the bear went into the MRI machine with her. When she awakened from the MRI, the technicians informed her that "Mimi" had slept through the whole test right along with her. Cute.

They won't have the results of the test until tomorrow...since today was a holiday...so we are all praying and hoping for the best. The nagging thing is...Joey's mom has already had one kidney transplant and may need another one, so we don't know if this may be a genetic condition, or what. I guess time will tell.

Bella with her new friend. I should have mentioned that Bella is not particularly fond of having her picture taken. I can identify with that, but I'm a fat old crone, not a precocious three year old. Anyway, she begrudgingly agreed to humor her old Aunt Lou with the following results.

Another shot of Bella. She is so vivacious and full of life. It is inconceivable to think there might be something seriously wrong with this precious little one. She talks a mile a minute and is quite "verbal." The technician asked Joey if she was "certain" that Bella was only three years old. I laughed and asked Joey if she told him she was the momma...she should know. Mallory, on the other hand, scarcely says a word, I'm told, besides...well...cat, which has already been established. I said she probably can't get a word in edgewise anyway, and she'll talk when she has something to say. I also reminded everyone that Mike was a "late talker" but now we can't get him to shut up, so they should be happy for small blessings.

This is Harold and Patty. I have introduced them to my iPod. Actually, I had a couple of gospel songs on it by the "Forrester Sisters" that I knew they would enjoy, so I queued the song and handed Harold the iPod. He then "shared" it with Patty, so they each have one earphone. They've been married almost forty-five years. Can you tell?

Mike and Joey and the girls this past Easter Sunday.

Same picture, same day...only this time with the proud grandparents.