Saturday, September 27, 2008

Quoting "The Good Doctor" Part Two

Continuing on now with the next set of slides for "The Good Doctor." I mentioned this in an earlier post, but it bears repeating. I like how Eames stands up to Bobby when she states that she doesn't think the doctor should be the only suspect in the case, citing that Valerie had lots of boyfriends, was a drug user, etc. I know she’s a seasoned cop and tough and all that, but it still took "spunk" to stand up to an intimidating figure like Bobby; especially when he is usually right and...moreso...has a tendency to think he's right even when he isn’t.

The look on her face when Deakins says he has to go with Bobby on this one…perhaps that’s the first time we see a glitch in the “trust” factor between the two partners.

For the record, when Kelmer says to his new girlfriend, "Are you really stupid enough to believe everything you read," that is the moment he would find one of his scalpels protruding from his egotistical chest. At the very least, he would have had to remove my foot from his ass. What woman wants to be with a man who calls her stupid? He could have said gullible, but then I guess the whole point was to demonstrate what an arrogant, narcissistic ass he truly was. Good job there.

Not that this is particularly significant, but I notice they drink "Coke" products on LOCI. I’m a Diet Pepsi girl myself. Eh well, maybe Coke has more dollars to spend on “product placement” than Pepsi.

Okay, I admit it...I need help with the set-up for this scene...the non-interrogation interrogation scene. I could never understand why Bobby purposely spilled the Coke on the file. Was it to mess them up so Kelmer couldn’t see what they said, or was it to let the doc think he had the upper hand in some way because Bobby was pretending to be the "doofus" he supposes him to be? I mean, I know Bobby well enough to realize he was “playing” him in some way and for a specific reason because...let's face it...Bobby doesn’t do anything without having a reason for it.

Bobby does make a subtle…but nonetheless purposeful…gesture by handing off the file to Alex in front of the doctor’s arrogant nose. Kelmer does notice the photos, so perhaps that was part of the ruse...to make him think they had something on him.

I could see the gears grinding in that magnificent brain as Bobby studied the papers then deliberately knocked the cup over. I loved watching him dab at the liquid with the paper towels/napkins, only barely acknowledging the doctor…that had to stick in his crawl. And then when Bobby actually “wrings out” the napkin…I don’t know…I just get a kick out of that scene.

Other things about this scene I find worth mentioning are, I love how he “handles” the doctor…keeps telling him until they have an ID, he can’t discuss the case with him. I half expected him to say, “What part of that statement don’t you understand, Doctor?” I like how he and Eames “tag team” Kelmer when they’re not interrogating him. And, finally, I love it when Bobby asks the doctor, “are we getting into an area that’s making you uncomfortable?” Because we know how much Bobby wants his suspects to be “comfortable” around him.

And ultimately, our stalwart detective achieves the purpose of the entire charade...permission from the doctor himself to search his apartment.

I almost forgot to mention the scene with the geeky tech-guy who took the information Goren and Eames gave him and in a veritable nano-second could tell them the areas they should search for the body...assuming an "ocean dump" as Bobby suggested. The airplane flew at 178 knots, the winds were from the north this time of year, the currents are from east to west, ergo, the body should be anywhere from here to here. I love television. But the best part of the scene is when Eames told Bobby she had "dibs" on Long Island, and he just gave her a tolerant, brotherly smile.

Third Slideshow


Fourth Slideshow


If the slides go by too quickly to allow you to read the dialog, just hit the "stop" button in the bottom right hand corner of the slideshow, then advance the slides one at a time.