Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Quoting "The Pardoner's Tale"

I cannot say that I was particularly fond of this episode. In fact, after seven years of watching Law & Order CI, I have to say there are probably only a dozen or so episodes that I consider to be truly excellent. The majority are good, but then there are several that just don’t quite "do it" for me. This is one of those episodes.

Don’t get me wrong, they are all quite watchable, but that has more to do with the fact that Vincent D’Onofrio breathes such incredible life and vibrancy into Detective Robert Goren than the subpar plots the writers sometimes offer up. Anyway, this eppy had more than it’s share of notable and mentionable “Bobby Moments,” but then, don’t they all?

Okay, I guess I have to start with Bobby telling Eames that he needs to see a buddy about a ’71 Malibu and asking her if she wants to come with him. Eames replies, “Sure. I love meeting your buddies.” The next scene is at Lewis’s (the buddy) garage, and as they’re walking around and talking, Lewis comments that he can’t get used to seeing Bobby in a suit. Then he stops at this one dented convertible, looks at it pointedly then at Bobby and says, “Bring back any memories, Bobby?” Bobby looks at the car, gives his head a reflective shake and says, “Whew!” Hmm? Makes one wonder, doesn’t it?

From all this, we learn that Bobby does indeed have friends, all of whom appear to have gone begging in subsequent years, but at one time the man did have buddies…several, in fact; Eames has met more than one of them. Next, we learn that Goren is fairly new to positions that require he wear a suit and tie. Finally, we arrive at the convertible. Can’t you just imagine the fun times Bobby had in a convertible? This was fun Bobby, more care-free Bobby and definitely angst-free Bobby. I miss him.

I liked the scene when Goren and Eames are questioning the kid who drove the getaway car. Bobby knew from the get-go that the kid had not known what was going to go down that night…he was just the dumb-luck driver. But when the guy breaks down and starts to cry, Bobby takes out his handkerchief…I love the fact he carries a linen/cotton hanky…and hands it to Eames who then gives it to the tearful perp. I’m still scratching my head as to why Bobby did not proffer the handkerchief directly to the guy. Oh, well…just one of those little “nuances” I suppose.

Moving on, we learn that Bobby knows people in the Fed…people who owe him favors. One of my favorite Goren lines of all time is the, “I can get someone in so deep, even I couldn’t find them.” Now, that’s deep, I’m thinking. It also makes me wonder about the nature of the favors owed Detective Goren by someone in the Fed. I am also partial to the “I give you my word” line. The way he says it, you just know you can trust this guy. I do.

Through the years, I have grown accustomed to watching Bobby play with his various “props.” The ever present leather portfolio, the handkerchief, the gun, the switchblade, the blue pencil…pretty much whatever gadget or gizmo that’s handy, you can bet that Bobby will be all over it. This is one of the few episodes I can recall seeing him use a “regular” No. 2 pencil vs. the blue one.

Another prop was the remote...I have to say I got a big kick out of watching him wave the remote around in the interrogation room. Oh, and to further exalt the virtues of that particular scene, permit me one naughty observation; no one else on this earth “straddles” a chair better than this man. In fact, if “chair straddling” was an Olympic sport, Detective Robert Goren wins the gold medal…hands down…no contest…every single time. Enough said.

Time to pause for a deep breath...and now I’m back.

I thoroughly enjoyed the scene when Goren and Eames were talking with the University employee. Bobby was tenacious and yet "irresistibly charming" as he wheedled the identity of the anonymous donor from the unsuspecting woman.

Of course, there was that great moment in the interrogation room when the guy just stared ahead, refusing to comment or even acknowledge that Eames or Goren were in the room, let alone talking to him. The, “Boo! Made you look,” line is another Bobby classic. Well, you know, Bobby has to be in control.

I have to say that Carver went down a notch or two in my estimation in this episode with his whole “the end justifies the means” attitude. I loved it when Bobby angrily told him that they were supposed to be “better” than the people they were prosecuting. But the kicker was the tag line at the end after they’ve successfully nabbed the bad guy and Carver is smiling, looking all proud of himself. He says they should teach this case at the governor’s school of government and Bobby promptly bursts Carver’s happy bubble by informing him that law school “ethics” class is the place it should be taught. Then he calls him “counselor.” Good scene.

Well, there are countless other things I could mention…like the “search warrant doesn’t actually stipulate highlighting” scene, Bobby’s interaction with the little boy, Bobby bursting into the room with his weapon drawn (be still my heart), Bobby directing Eames through the computer scene when they learn that Ufland was pardoned by the governor; i.e., “Read, read,” and “Go on,” and the ever popular, “Scroll down.” We all find out in Season 3 how Bobby feels about “scrolling.”

So, there you have it...my tome to “The Pardoner’s Tale” and here are the slideshows to accentuate the “points” just made.

Part I


Part II


Part III


Part IV