Saturday, September 27, 2008

Quoting "The Good Doctor" Part One

When I sat down to screen cap this episode and select my quotable/memorable scenes and one-liners, I had no idea it was going to turn into this seemingly never ending process. I mean, I've been working on this...off and on...for days now. But, it is something I enjoy doing and, trust me, I like anything that encourages me to postpone more mundane things like...cleaning, washing dishes, laundry, and grocery shopping.

So, this is the first of three...yes, I said three...posts of my little tribute to Bobby in "The Good Doctor."

Enough of that, let's get on with "critiquing" the episode. I thoroughly enjoyed the opening scene in Deakins's office when "The Good Doctor" came to report his missing wife. Bobby’s body language during that initial scene with Kelmer was...in a word... priceless. It is obvious from the get-go that he cannot believe this guy’s superior-acting attitude. That alone was sufficient cause for Bobby to automatically put him in the suspect column.

In this episode, we learn that Bobby took a few psych classes in college, and he tries to show off his knowledge with the therapist…who does not appear to be all that impressed, I must say. You know, being cops, I would think that Goren and Eames should know all about that doctor/patient confidentiality loophole. Perhaps they thought they had to give it a shot…maybe they would run across a not so smart or unscrupulous doctor.

Oh well, I have to admit that it made for an interesting showcase for Bobby to highlight his skills with a bit of sarcasm thrown in to boot; i.e., the, "she ran off and joined the circus" comment. It was evident that Bobby was not amused when the psychiatrist did not take him seriously.

I loved the "little curl" that could be seen at the scruff of his neck when he turned his head to the side in this scene. I included a picture of it in the first "Just Bobby" slideshow of the post of that name.

I thought the writers showcased Eames quite a bit in this episode. I thought she had a good bit when she profiled D’Alacosta in the doorway of his apartment. I love the, “my partner has a fancy word for people like you…psychopaths." She just calls them screw-ups. But then that's Eames; she has a way of cutting through all the B/S.

Actually, I rather enjoyed that entire scene in the artist's apartment. I mean, who can forget Bobby wanting to see the naked portrait of Valerie, and his subsequent reaction. (He was such a horn dog in those early days.) Which was followed by Eames’ totally disgusted reaction; i.e., "you couldn’t pay me enough."

I'm going to take a small break now and whine a bit. In case I've never mentioned it, I hate it when the actors walk around while they’re talking. Yeah, yeah...I know it makes for realistic television, but it makes it prodigiously hard to cap specific bits of dialog for the character when they refuse to cooperate by standing still. I end up with all these blurry faces and hands and legs and such.

Back to the episode, focusing in on when Goren asks the judge what is the harm if they search the doc’s car and apartment and his wife turns up alive later? I have to say that taking liberties with the 4th amendment is not a particularly admirable side of my boy. Let's fast forward to Season 7 and "Frame" as a point of reference. He was none too pleased to find out that someone had checked his phone records, his emails, his finances. I suppose we all look at things differently when the shoe is on the other foot, huh?

But when he gets his way and they check the doctor's car and find the fuel receipts, the expression on Bobby's face when the technician tells him "his" doctor is bouncing off the walls in the claims area...well, once again it's absolutely priceless. In fact, the whole scene where he tells the doc that...they're like dumb dogs, they get a scent and follow it...was pretty amusing. Once again, he and Eames working in sync to lay the trap to catch the bad guy. Good stuff.

I used a slightly different slideshow format on Photobucket this time, mainly because some of the dialog is so long and it goes by so fast, it can be difficult to read. So, if anyone out there is interested, just click the stop button on the bottom right hand corner of each slideshow, then you can advance each slide at your own leisure.

First Slideshow


Second Slideshow