Saturday, September 27, 2008

Quoting "The Good Doctor" Part Three

This brings me to the final segment(s) of this episode. I guess I went a little overboard on quotes and scenes, but this one had so many good scenes and one-liners, it was hard to decide what to leave out. Thus the plethora of slideshows for this show.

I loved the whole scene in Lisa Voight's apartment; especially Bobby. (Go figure.) When he says to her, “I don’t mean to be rude. Are you intimately involved with him?” What a crock. Of course he meant to be rude, or at least to catch her off guard. Besides, Bobby already knew they were intimate…he had seen the “strictly business” photos.

Which leads me to the "gotcha" moment when he thrusts the incriminating photo under her perky little upturned nose and says, "This thing you're doing to the doctor with your tongue, what "business" is that...strictly?" Sarcastic Bobby at his best. Great LOCI moment and a classic Bobby line.

Moving on to the "official" interrogation scene...a "take charge" Bobby moment when he informs the doctor that "this" is an interrogation and tells him where he has to sit. Later in the scene, I love it when Bobby ridicules the doctor by telling him he can't believe that Lisa is going to let him "hack" into her face because he (the doc) has "issues" with her cheekbones. Then Bobby waves that magnificent finger in the doc's arrogant face and chides him with a derisive…tsk…tsk…tsk. Oh yeah, good stuff. Oh, and the "pissing all over herself" line is pretty cool, too.

Now, while I love the fact that my dashing detective is more than a little…shall we say… cocksure of himself…is the courtroom scene truly realistic? I’m just surprised the judge let Goren go on and on the way he did, and kept telling the jury to “disregard” his blatant prejudicial statements instead of declaring a mistrial. I mean both Bobby and Carver did a good deal more than “push” the envelope. They sealed it, stamped it, and dropped that baby in the mailbox and mailed it on home. While it made for entertaining television and gave us some incredibly nice Bobby moments, I hope – I pray – our judicial system is a good deal more diligent than it was portrayed here.

This was the first time…and only time I recall…seeing Bobby testify on the stand. We saw Eames testify in "The Wee Small Hours," but I cannot think of another scene where Bobby testifies in court. I could be wrong, of course. Anyway, this is LOCI after all...Bobby typically coerces a confession from the perp, thereby precluding the need for a trial.

And yet Bobby looks so genuinely remorseful when chastised by the judge, almost wringing his hands. I mean, if ever there was someone so obviously “in contempt” of court, it was my Bobby. It pains me to say it, but it’s true. I guess we’re back to last week’s episode of "The Pardoner's Tale" and “the ends justifying the means” scenario...only the shoe is on Bobby’s foot this time.

Now, I realize they gave the good doctor a knife in the courtroom for a reason, so that when he lost his temper it would only serve to emphasize what a truly despicable man he was. But, come on, would they really give the guy on trial for...you know...murder a weapon to wield in the courtroom? More television drama, I suppose.

And I have to agree with Eames on this one; she hit the nail smack dab on the head. The jury convicted the guy because they didn’t like him...pure and simple. There was not a single shred of evidence in this case…only circumstantial. There’s that proof beyond a "reasonable doubt" thing, you know? Don’t get me wrong, I think the doc was a son of a bitch and probably did kill his wife, but I also think he's standing on solid ground when it comes to an appeal.

Wouldn’t it be interesting if Doctor Kelmer or even Valerie turned up again one day to plague our already beleaguered detective? And on that intriguing thought, I shall bring this rambling tome to an official conclusion.

Fifth Slideshow


Sixth Slideshow


If the slides go by too quickly to allow you to read the dialog, just hit the "stop" button in the bottom right hand corner of the slideshow, then advance the slides one at a time.