Sunday, October 7, 2007

Dream Weaver

Okay, I know we all have ‘em. I don’t always remember mine, but I often wake up with that “feeling.” You know the one. Like you’ve dreamt something special you’d like to recall, but you cannot summon the images to save your life. Or, conversely, there are the dreams that seem so real while you’re in the midst of them that you’re filled with a sense of overwhelming relief when you waken to realize…it was just a dream. I had such a dream last night.

Ready? Last night I dreamed I purchased an alligator from…of all places...eBay. Not a cutesy, stuffed version of the critter, but an honest to gosh, fully grown…live…alligator. I don’t know how it was delivered, but in the dream I saw myself walking it on a dog leash. I decided to keep it in the basement and, in dreamtime, it appeared that several days had passed and I had not even bothered to feed my new pet. Gotta tell ya, I wasn't looking forward to descending the basement stairs to confront a hungry alligator. I was just “dream thinking” that I wasn’t at all prepared to own an alligator because I didn’t know what to feed it or how to care for it when, luckily, I woke up to the realization that it was…thankfully…only a dream.

Now, if I had my druthers, I’d rather my nocturnal ruminations were filled with luscious visions of a certain fictional NYPD detective. I mean, I think about this guy all the time, but I almost never, ever dream about him. I guess my poor, old besotted brain is so saturated with thoughts of Detective Bobby during my waking hours, it thinks I need a break when I’m sleeping. I, most humbly, beg to differ.

But this past Wednesday night, I found myself dreaming about... Bobby. It wasn’t “sexual” by any stretch of the imagination. My dreams about him…rare though they may be…never are. We were together and alone and he was talking to me…although I cannot recall a single word he said...and then he “leaned in” real close as if he wanted to tell me something very particular when…I kid you not…the phone rang. It was 1:40a.m. in the freakin’ morning and the phone rang!!

Now, my brain’s initial reaction to being awakened from a sound sleep in the middle of the night was to scream “death in the family, death in the family” in my half-awake ears. So, I answered the phone and said a cautious, “Hello.” But instead of a “live” voice on the other end of the line, it was a taped message from the car dealership where I recently bought a new car, reminding me that they were moving to a new location in October. Yes, I said a "recorded message" at 1:40a.m. in the morning!!

Now, the wave of relief that washed over me with the realization that my family and friends were indeed safe and sound was immediately supplanted with downright frustration and irritation at having been so rudely awakened from my "Bobby dream." Oh, the humanity!

So, for anyone out there who may be reading this and who also happens to be a Bobby fan, may your dreams be blessed with images such as these when you close your eyes and drift off to dreamland tonight. I know I'm hoping mine will.




Sweet dreams everyone!
As usual, with thanks to Val for the pixs.