Thursday, October 11, 2007

Tantalizing Tongue Teasers

Okay, I really call them “Tongue Flicks,” but I was in an alliterative mood, hence the title. What am I talking about, you ask? Well…our good Detective Goren has a habit…a delicious habit, mind you…of flicking his tongue across his lips before he speaks. Not every time he says something, but often enough to delight his faithful followers. It’s like the talking equivalent of clearing one’s palate between dinner courses…only a lot more satisfying.

I have to admit, I didn’t notice it so much when I first started watching the show. I mean, the guy has so many idiosyncratic mannerisms, it was kind of overwhelming to process them all at once. In fact, I think I was well into Season 2 when I was reading one of the many message boards devoted to the divine Detective when someone asked the question: “Have any of you noticed how Bobby “flicks” his tongue?” And I sat up in my chair and said aloud to the computer screen, “Yeh, you’re right. He does that!” Great…one more thing for me to watch for. I mean, I can barely follow the storyline as it is for studying each and every movement the man makes. (Hey, a girl's gotta have a hobby...and this is mine.)

Now, I’m to the point I can almost predict when one is going to happen. It’s like when Magnum would pause for a second, look directly into the camera, quirk his eyebrow, and give us one of his roguish smiles. Yeh, it’s like that. (I could predict those, too.)

The problem is, when one “freeze frames” a tongue flick, it simply looks like he is sticking out his tongue in a childish gesture, but trust me, there is nothing “childlike” about this man. (Well, he does have this cute, little pug nose, but I'll save that discussion for another time.) The truth is, one must "experience" this phenomenon in "real time" in order to truly appreciate this fascination with the tongue flick. Mmmm...if only.

So, just for fun, I give you Bobby and his "totally terrific tantalizing tongue."









'Nuff said.

With thanks...once again...to Val for the photos. She's quick with that cap screen function, I tell ya.

4 comments:

val said...

Ooh, I wish. It takes AGES of clicking the frame backwards and forwards to get just the right sequence. But it's a labour of love.

Eliza has some wonderful pictures on her website of his tongue from The Velocity of Gary. When he tries to stick it in Gary's ear - it is SOOOOOOOOO long! I love fantasizing about what he could do with that tongue...

BobbyG said...

Yes, Val, as you well know, there are a great many of us out there who fantasize about that tongue. If the man only knew.

As for the screen capping process, I've never tried it, but am hoping to one day soon. I've got to talk with someone about what software, etc. I need for my computer. I spend so much time on the computer all ready. Don't know how I'll find the time, but I will.

val said...

I use Cyberlink PowerDVD. I had it on my previous computer without even realising it. It was an epiphany when I found it. You can buy it or download it.

BobbyG said...

Thank you so much, Val. I'll check it out. Another thing for me to obsess about...like I need another thing.