Saturday, December 20, 2008

An Eagles Christmas Song

In case you haven't noticed it by now, I am one obsessive lady. When I take a shine to something, whether it's a television show, or an actor in a television show, a book, a photo, an article of clothing, a particular food...you name it...once a specific "craving" worms its way into my head, I simply cannot "let it go" until that craving has been satisfied.

That is precisely what happened when I first heard the Eagles' rendition of "Please Come Home For Christmas." I loved it from the get-go and me being...well...me, I wanted a copy of the song for my very own, so I could listen to it whenever I wanted instead of some random happenstance whenever the local DJ decided to play it during the holidays. And thus my quest began.

Again, this search began a long time before I landed here in the Queen City, way before there were such things as Amazon.com, eBay, and iTunes. I looked everywhere and finally...one day...I asked a clerk in a music store if it was available on a CD. Basically, he told me "no" that this was some sort of "special" recording. I don't recall the specifics, but the long and the short of it was, I had to content myself with a cassette recording of the song I managed to snag from a radio station one Sunday afternoon.

Still, my obsessive soul was not completely satisfied. I wanted a "real" copy of the song, dang it. I mean, here I was...cold, hard cash at the ready...and nothing to show for it. Then, one day, I got the bright idea to check Amazon.com. I typed the name of the song in the "search" box and...low and behold...through the magic of the Internet, there it was. I gleefully plunked down my $4.98 plus S&H for a CD that contained this song plus one other...whose title I don't recall and, quite frankly, I've never listened to. I would have paid more...thus the life of the obsessive compulsive. It took me...literally...years, but I finally got what I wanted. (Maybe Bobby should beware, huh?)

Oh, well. I know this song has been recorded by a host of other artists, but there is just something about Don Henley's throaty rendition that "pulls" me in. So, this leads me to the next of my "favorite" Christmas songs: "Please Come Home For Christmas."


YouTube video by eaglesonlinecentral.