Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Favorite Christmas Carols

And I have several. So many, in fact, it is difficult to choose just one favorite carol, so I am going to start with one by a truly classy guy...Johnny Mathis. My oldest brother introduced me to this artist's dulcet tones wayyyyy back in the day. Of course, Johnny is best know for his ballads like, "Chances Are," "The Twelfth of Never," "A Certain Smile," "It's Not For Me To Say," and...well, the list goes on and on. Ah, what memories those titles inspire.

He has produced a number of Christmas albums/CDs through the years, as well. He sings the "traditional" holiday ditties with as much aplomb and dignity as he displays in his renditions of the more reverent songs such as "Silent Night" and "Oh Holy Night." But the Christmas Carol that first comes to my mind when I think of this particular artist is "What Child Is This," and that is the one I have selected for this post.

Come to think of it, Johnny is probably best know for his version of "The Christmas Song." You know, "chestnuts roasting on an open fire." But, everybody and anybody who even thought about cutting a Christmas album sings that song, and I am heartily sick of it. So, rest assured you won't be finding that tune in my top ten list of favorite Christmas Carols.

But this one did make the cut: "What Child Is This" by Johnny Mathis. I found it on YouTube...where else...and it was posted there by leeestrada. What ever oh ever did we do before the Internet and blogging and YouTube and emailing and such? Oh yeah, I'd read a book every now and then.