Saturday, December 6, 2008

Not To Beat A Dead Horse...Or A "Bad" Hair Cut

Okay, now that the initial shock of Mr. D'Onofrio's new shorn hair style has worn off...a bit, I can get on to other things. I mean, it is his head, after all. In fact, Vincent can shave off all of his hair and paint his scalp blue if that is his inclination, and it would be none of My Big Fat Freakin' Business. Still, I do hope the longer locks are well on their way to making a comeback by the time he starts filming LOCI again.

Anyway, the surprise of seeing the new hair style that Vincent D'Onofrio is sporting these days reminded me of a scene from my all time favorite sitcom...EVER..."Wings." The show aired on NBC from April 1990 through May 1997, but, like another show that is near and dear to my heart, I don't believe it ever got the respect it deserved. Mainly, I suppose, because shows like "Seinfeld," "Cheers," and then "Frasier," etc., were considered the "glory" sitcoms in those days.

As for me...give me the wholesome, comical antics of Joe and Brian Hackett, Helen Chappel, Lowell Mather, Roy Biggins, Fay Cochran, and Antonio Scarpacci any day of the week and twice on Sunday over the mindless, soulless, nothingness that "Seinfeld" evolved into, but I digress.

Oh well, back to the hair cut, "Wings," and the set-up for the scene in the following slideshow. Helen's sister, Casey, came back to Nantucket at the beginning of Season 6 after her husband ran off with all their money, leaving her penniless and destitute. Casey is...how shall I say it...a bit of a snob. Joe and Brian can barely tolerate Casey, but Antonio...the "lowly" cab driver...is instantly smitten with her even though he can barely bring himself to say two coherent words to her without appearing like a blithering idiot.

Anyway, the day arrives when Casey needs to get her hair done, and she wants to borrow $200 from Helen to fly off to some fancy-schmancy New York salon. Helen, instead, talks her into going to a local beauty shop called "Yankee Doodle Scissors" and hilarious sitcom mishaps ensue. The slideshow doesn't do the scene justice, but...alas...since I have no video making skills, this will have to do.

Antonio has but one line in the scene at the very end, but it is precisely what I would dearly love to do to the one responsible for shearing off the luscious salt-and-pepper locks of my Detective Bobby.

Wings Slideshow


So, if I happen to run into Mr. D'Onofrio on the street, I'll walk up to him and say, "Whoever did this...

...to you, I will kill them."