Monday, August 25, 2008

Quotes From "The Extra Man"

It's 2:15a.m. and while I wait for Amazon.com to make "Frame" available as a download, I thought I would go ahead and put the finishing touches on "The Extra Man." My intention is to devote the bulk of tomorrow...technically, I suppose that would be "today"...to capping and organizing my thoughts on the season finale.

I like to put together a summary on each episode as I post my "memorable" quotes for the particular show, but it's late, the pain pill I took for my right arm/hand kicked in about ten minutes ago, so my brain is a bit fuzzy, and I'm emotionally drained from all the hype leading up to "Frame" and the relief now that it's over. How the hell did I ever let my piddly life get so wrapped-up in a fictional detective...that's what I'd like to know.

Anyway, what did I find out about my Bobby-boy in this episode from Season 1? Well, for starters, he had a "boo-boo" on the middle finger of his left hand...a little nick near the first knuckle.

He...evidently...isn't willing to spend money on champagne and strawberries for a hooker. Not that I think the man has to resort to that element for female companionship, but these are things he knows, apparently.

I discovered that Detective Goren is as good at questioning, intimidating, and completely demoralizing a suspect over the phone as he is in the cold, gray/blue confines of the interrogation room.

But perhaps the most telling thing I learned about Bobby came at the end of the episode and related...perhaps...more to his own life than the culprit's. It was at the very end when Bobby told Carver that having two people...I'm assuming he's talking about parents here since Didier was an orphan...in your life who think you're special makes a difference. Carver replies, "Some people get by on a lot less." And Bobby counters with, "They shouldn't have to."

This was "back in the day" wayyyyy before we knew anything about Bobby's childhood. Well, now that I know precisely the sort of parents he had, that tag line becomes significantly more pertinent in my understanding of the character. I know he's not "real," but I still want to give him a hug.

Part I


Part II


Part III


There are, most likely, several other observations that could and should be made about this episode, but this is all I can muster for now. Perhaps after a few hours of sleep, the old noggin' will be back in "think" mode.