Thursday, November 22, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving Y'All

I do realize, of course, that not everyone celebrates Thanksgiving today, but warm wishes for a happy day are extended to everyone who might stumble upon this blog. I am presently sitting up in bed with my laptop, working on this entry, growing hungrier by the second as the delicious aroma of the turkey roasting in the oven wafts down the hallway to tickle my nose, and watching my favorite Thanksgiving movie – of sorts – “Planes, Trains, and Automobiles.”

Steve Martin (as Neal Page) and John Candy (as Del Griffith) at their funniest…at least for me. One of my favorite scenes just happened. It’s freezing cold and Owen arrives in a pickup truck to take Del and Neal to the catch the train in a not so nearby town. As the pair start to load their belongings into the back of the truck, Owen orders them to “leave it be.” Then Owen barks at his wife who is sitting in the truck, “Git yer lazy behind out here and put that trunk up in the back.” Neal and Del protest, but to no avail; our hayseed husband replies, “She don’t mind. She’s short and skinny, but she’s strong. Her first baby…come out sideways. She didn’t scream or nuthin’” To which Del replies, “Isn’t that something? You’re a real trooper.” Sorry, but thank you for permitting me to indulge in that trip down cinema lane.

Later today, there will be the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade, football, an abundance of good food (all the typical Thanksgiving fixins’ my mom used to prepare…and then some) and since the USA Network has most thoughtfully decided to show a combination LOCI/SVU marathon, my day will be intermittently filled with a healthy helping of a certain sweet, loveable, quirky, and delectable detective. Can you spell d-e-s-s-e-r-t? (With a little chocolate sauce, please.) Boy howdy, can it get any better than this?

Hardly the sort of Thanksgiving our forefathers envisioned all those many, many years ago, I fancy, but it’s how I’m going to celebrate the day.

Well, it wouldn’t be a proper Thanksgiving if I didn’t pause for a moment to give thanks for those things that mean the most to me and for which I am truly thankful. So, I did a quick search of the Internet and found the following by Ralph Waldo Emerson. With the exception of my family, which tops the list, this little prayer of Thanksgiving just about covers it all.

For each new morning with its light,
For rest and shelter of the night,
For health and food,
For love and friends,
For everything Thy goodness sends.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

A "traditional" wish for the day.


And for the quirky, slightly perverse among us...that would be me...this is for you.
Images courtesy of Google.

4 comments:

val said...

Happy Thanksgiving, BobbyG. Lots of LOCI sounds like a great way of celebrating.

Anonymous said...

As we 'lost' the Colonies (ahem!), we don't celebrate Thanksgiving on this side of the pond, but I hope y'all are having a grand day off anyway!

StarChild said...

Ummm, please tell me that isn't Big Bird...no, say it isn't so, PLEASE...

If it is our big yellow friend, that ain't quirky and/or perverse, that's just WRONG....sniff sniff...

BobbyG said...

StarChild, I just knew you'd be the one to laser in on that. Sorry, but you know me. I mean, my favorite cartoon of all time was "The Far Side" by Gary Larson. That should tell you something. But don't worry about Big Bird, just go to your "Happy Place."