Thursday, November 22, 2007

A Word About...Pie

Whenever I’m having a particularly bad day at work, my staff and fellow colleagues can quickly assess the level of my frustration by my woebegone utterance of a single sentence, “I need pie.”

Ah, yes…pie. No other dessert is quite so satisfying as a slice of mouth-wateringly good, homemade pie. It’s good old fashioned, homemade “comfort” all wrapped up in a buttery, flakey crust. Mmm Mmm. Ah, yes…pie.

Andie MacDowell paid homage to the scrumptious pastry in the movie, “Michael” by singing the following little ditty:

Pie,
Pie,
Me oh my,
Nothing tastes sweet, wet, salty and dry
All at once,
Oh well, it’s pie.
Apple!
Pumpkin!
Minced
An’ wet bottom.
Come to your place everyday if you’ve got ‘em.
Pie,
Me oh my,
I love pie.

Not sure about the minced pie, but I’m good with all the others...and then some. Add pecan and cherry to the list and – oh yeh – that’s good eats. Well, it’s Thanksgiving Day and, as you might have deduced, I haven’t indulged in dessert yet. An oversight that shall be rectified shortly, I promise you. Pumpkin, of course; it is after all the “traditional” pie of the day here in the States.

Just remember…the best pies are runny pies…like kisses…the good ones are never dry.

4 comments:

Jane said...

Have to confess, I'm not much of a 'pie person'. But walking into a house and getting hit with the scent of a freshly baked pumpkin pie...It's one of the greatest things in life.

BobbyG said...

That's some of my best memories of Thanksgiving. My mom would get up early...like 5:00a.m., and put the turkey in to roast. Then when I'd wake up, the house was filled with the most delicious aroma. Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a pie person, but we all have our demons.

val said...

Mmmm. My ex-husband's apple pie was almost worth not getting divorced for.

BobbyG said...

Gee...Val, that must have been some GOOD pie.