Wednesday, November 7, 2007

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

Yesterday morning on my way to work, I decided to stop by McDonald's to grab breakfast to take to the office with me...a #3 on the Mickey D's menu board...bacon, egg & cheese biscuit, hash browns, and a Diet Coke. (Yeh, I know.)

Now, I don't usually broadcast what I'm about to reveal, but since there is really only a handful of people who actually read my little scribblings, I think I'll risk it. I hesitate only because I do what I do as a means of "paying it forward" -- so to speak -- not because I want any recognition or a pat on the back or anything...it's just something I do.

Anyway, as I was sitting in line, I glanced up in my rearview mirror to see who was behind me in the drive-thru. Occasionally, I get this "little voice" that gives me a nudge and tells me I should buy breakfast for the kind soul or souls in the car behind me. I checked out the lady, and she looked like she could use a "random act of kindness," so after I paid for my breakfast goodies, I asked the young lad who was collecting money how much the order was for the car behind me. I told him I wanted to pay for that order as well and explained that I didn't know the person, just to tell her I said to have a blessed day, then I drove forward to pick up my food and headed on to the office.

Sometimes I glance up in the mirror to see the person's reaction, sometimes I just drive on. Sometimes they honk and wave to express their gratitude, but most of the time, the McDonald's employee is still trying to make them understand what has transpired and I've already collected my food and made a clean get-away.

So, I got to the office and got settled at my desk. I turned on the computer and bid a good morning to the handsome fellow who was staring lustfully at me from the clock frame on my desk and the wallpaper on my PC. I logged on to the terminal server and pulled up the office email and reached into my breakfast bag and got ready to start my day. Only...instead of a bacon, egg and cheese biscuit...I pulled out a sausage and egg biscuit. Disappointed! (Think of Kevin Kline in "A Fish Called Wanda" when he opens the safe to find the diamonds are gone.) I'm not a fan of the sausage and egg biscuit.

Ah well, I guess that was the universe's way of telling me I really didn't need a greasy, calorie-filled, carb-loaded breakfast yesterday morning...or any morning for that matter...regardless of my benevolent gesture. But it did make me wonder...just how many hapless customers arrived at their appointed destination yesterday morning only to discover they had been crapped on by the McDonald's drive-thru fairy. You know...the one that sprinkled magic fairy-dust on their order, turning it into what she wanted them to have instead of what they had their heart...or taste buds...set on.

In the grand sceme of things, it really doesn't matter all that much, I suppose. It's not like it was the first time someone has mucked-up my drive-thru order and it certainly won't be the last. Nor will it deter me in my quest to restore deceny and human kindness...one random act at a time...to this rapidly degenerating world in which we dwell. I may, however, take the time to peek inside my bag before I pull away from the drive-thru...next time.

9 comments:

abc said...

too bad about the wrong breakfast in the bag, but i love that idea of "paying forward". i think it's a nice way to brighten up someone else's day. makes we wanna do such stuff as well. :) (but preferably without spending too much money as i don't really have any...)

Anonymous said...

You can buy me breakfast anytime ;0)

ann said...

he probably got it all upside
down and gave the car behind
your order and you theirs...
doh!!!!

BobbyG said...

Tamara - Trust me, I know about the limited money thing. Have been there. I'm in a good place right now, but things have a way of changing. Anyway, there are other ways to "pay it forward." A kind word here, a smile there, helping a neighbor rake leaves, carry groceries, sweep a sidewalk...you know...anything that shows you care. You'll think of something.

BobbyG said...

Diane - If I'm ever in your neck of the woods, or visa versa, I'll do more than buy your breakfast...I'll take you to dinner. I'm thinking we could talk about a certain dashing detective for hours on end.

BobbyG said...

Ann - I should have known I was in trouble when the kid's supervisor told him to hurry because the food orders were ready and he evidently was not collecting the money fast enough. Then, that got him flustered and he started yelling at the money because it wouldn't stay in the drawer. Yeh, he had "issues."

I'm buying breakfast for my girls in the morning...four different orders...can't wait to see what we end up with.

abc said...

yeah, i'm basically doing that already. my simple thought about that is always: it would be no use to behave bad with other people and it's absolutely no effort to be nice and helpful and it also makes me feel better from time to time. so, i'm basically that "jump in to help" person already (my mom raised me good), but the "paying forward" thing is a cool and creative new way that i haven't thought about yet. i need to find something that good, too. :)

StarChild said...

See, this is why I cherish BobbyG's friendship ("I" being the Linda she refers to on occasion): she has such a good heart!! And that is why I am working SOOO hard to understand this...shall I say it, OBSESSION!!!!!!!!!...for Detective Bobby. But, even if I never understand it totally (I won't even mention my...ahem, STUNNED REACTION...to the entry regarding his "endowments"), I shall defend forever the alienable right of every woman on this planet to covet VDO alias Bobby Goren.

I do have to admit...he has a very sexy voice...

BobbyG said...

Ah, Linda...Helloooooooo and welcome! So glad you've finally made your voice known. I cherish your friendship, too. I'll try not to shock you TOO much, but I'm not making any promises. I've got a "dream" post coming up that will most likely make your jaw drop to the floor. Come back soon...and often. Better yet, start your own blog!!