Monday, November 19, 2007

Most Dangerous U.S. Cities

There is a research group “out there” that publishes an annual list of the most dangerous cities in the U.S., based on FBI crime statistics. Well, the 2007 list was released yesterday, and you can image my absolute "bliss" when I learned that Cincinnati had the dubious honor of being ranked #16 on that list. Not that it was any real surprise to me. I mean, I watch the news.

In fact, the first thing I do every morning upon waking is turn on the TV to catch the weather report for the day. Of course, before Larry Handley on Channel 9 can tell me whether I need my umbrella or a warm jacket, I have to listen to the litany of shootings, stabbings, robberies, murders, rapes, and/or home invasions that occurred in the city while I slept. It makes one want to pull the covers back up over one’s head and remain in bed…forever.

Last night, Channel 9 reported on a young man who was shot multiple times during a holdup at the clothing store where he worked. This happened Saturday afternoon after 3:00p.m. The police have not figured it out yet, but they think the robber shot him because he was not complying with his demands fast enough. The young man died Sunday morning at 1:00a.m. It was supposed to be his day off. His shift at the store was to have ended at 4:00p.m. He was twenty-three years old and his name was Christopher Spencer.

The reason I’m taking the time to relate this is because I could not believe how peaceful his mother appeared to be when she was interviewed on the news last night. I’ll never forget her serene expression as she calmly told the reporter, “You know, God doesn’t make any mistakes.” What profound, unshakable, unwavering faith this woman must have.

Well, Channel 9 repeated the story this morning, so it was on my mind when I arrived at the office. I had not been at my desk very long before Angie, one of the loan officers...and my friend...came into my office and sat down. She asked me if I had heard about the shooting and – to shorten an already lengthy story – it turns out that Christopher was the son of her best friend, Sheree.

The newspaper article I later read described a young man who was “well-loved” and the things that Angie proceeded to tell me about him only confirmed that. Christopher lived with his grandmother, so he could take care of her and he took her to church every Sunday morning. He was working so he could save money to start his own business with a friend. He helped look after his younger brothers and sisters. And…even in death…Christopher continued helping others. During this horrific ordeal, his mother had the presence of mind to donate his organs, so that something "positive" could come from this tragic, senseless act.

I so wanted to attach a picture of Christopher, so you could see for yourself what his family and the world has lost. The one they showed on the news last night was so striking. He had a smile that beamed from ear to ear…he looked so full of life. He had, in fact, his whole life ahead of him. I guess it’s true what they say, “the good die young” – especially in this town.

5 comments:

val said...

The tragic loss of the young and the good. Why isn't it only the wastes-of-space who end up wasted?

Anonymous said...

I read that report on the web a few days ago. It says Detroit is the most dangerous city. And of course, the city officials are saying that the data is all wrong or whatever.

I wish I could find the whole list. You know, America is obsessed with statistics. Who's got more of this, who's got this least of that...

When I get angry with the world I think back to the Clinton era.

BobbyG said...

Hi Beatlelady. I tried to find the whole report, but -- as near as I could find out -- it appears to be part of a book recently published. While, like you, I'm curious about the whold list, I'm not going to buy the book just to find out. The local paper printed the top 10 cities. You're right, Detroit edged out St. Louis by -- like -- one point. Can't recall the others except that Cleveland was Number 10, so two Ohio cities made the top 20...a dubious "honor."

StarChild said...

What a tragic story! One has to wonder why such bright, shining lights in this world are snuffed out while the evil seemingly survive unaffected. This is where faith comes in, that God's plan is still being fulfilled even though we sure as heck can't see it. And his mother...truly an angel herself, to be such a witness of the good that is still in the world...

BobbyG said...

As a follow-up, his mom started a scholarship in his name for kids that go to the high school from which he was graduated.

And, they caught the guy that shot him.