Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Time To Laugh

Well, for me at any rate. Now, I would not go so far as to list "Laverne & Shirley" as one of my all-time favorite sitcoms, but I usually tuned in for a good chuckle. They were the "Lucy & Ethel" of the late 1970's and early 80's. For me, the show lost its appeal when they switched locations from Milwaukee to California, but that's just one woman's humble opinion.

Anyway, whenever I think of this show, two episodes immediately spring to mind. One is when they sneak into Fabian's hotel room, dressed in skimpy French maid's uniforms no less. When Shirley unleashes that high-pitched scream and flings herself to the floor and wraps her arms around his leg and holds on for dear life...and then Laverne leaps into his arms...and he's stumbling backwards dragging Shirley along for the ride and singing, "Turn Me Loose," well I erupt into peels of laughter every single time. (My apologies for that exceedingly long, run on sentence.)

Unfortunately...well...for me, I have not been able to locate that scene on that refuge for all things video...YouTube...but I did happen upon my second favorite scene. Here's the setup as best I can recall.

Lenny and Squiggy tell the girls about this swanky cocktail party that is going to take place on a Sunday evening. Thinking this will be a swell place to meet men, Laverne and Shirley decide they have to be a part of it, but they lack the funds to get in. Again, Lenny and Squiggy to the "rescue." They tell the girls about this company that is conducting various studies and is looking for subjects to participate; i.e., be human guinea pigs. They will be paid for their trouble.

As it turns out, Laverne's group will be tested for the effects on the human body for sleep deprivation and Shirl's will be denied food. They check in Friday evening and, after two days with very little sleep for Laverne and even less food for Shirley, the girls arrive at the cocktail party, and the following hilarity ensues...


When Shirley pounces on that Ritz Cracker, I just howl with laughter. It’s innocuous, brainless, slapstick humor at its best…I love it. With thanks to danielskinner for the YouTube video. Now, if I could just get my hands on that Fabian scene...

4 comments:

Music Wench said...

ROFL! Oh that was great! I loved this show! And I happen to agree with you, it wasn't as funny when they moved them away from Milwaukee.
I remember this and I remember laughing just as hard.

Thanks for cheering me up! :-)

BobbyG said...

Well, Music Wench, I have come to think of you as one of my cyberspace blogging friends, and I was concerned because I know you've been a bit low. One of the greatest gifts we can give one another is the gift of LAUGHTER. It heals so many things.

I've been saving this one for the...as Captain Jack Sparrow would say...opportune moment. So happy it made you laugh.

val said...

I never saw the show. I can see that it's well done, but it's just not my type of humour. Isn't it strange how different people laugh at different things - and some people don't laugh at anything!

Anonymous said...

I used to love Laverne and Shirley