Friday, June 6, 2008

Will The Real Vincent D'Onofrio Sign In Please?

Just look at all these scrumptious photos to which Vincent has purportedly affixed his official “John Henry.” All of these are, or were recently, available on eBay.

Several years back when I was “into” one Mark McGwire, I was apt to cruise the Internet in search of articles and memorabilia and such of him. That is – unfortunately for my pocketbook – when I became an avid eBayer. Anyway, since Mac was such a big sports superstar at the time, anything with his autograph was going for mega bucks. Eventually, one fan site or forum posted a series of signatures; one was McGwire’s actual signature and the rest were bogus imitations. I got so I could detect his actual autograph fairly quickly.

So, as I was scrolling through the autographed photos of VDO on eBay the other evening, I began to scrutinize each signature closely. Some look very similar, others don’t even come close…at least to my untrained eye. I suppose the only way to be absolutely, positively certain I’m getting the “real deal” would be to track him down in New York and watch him sign it with my own two eyes, but that is not gonna happen in this lifetime.


Funny thing is…one of the sellers states that ninety-five percent of the autographs being offered for sale on eBay are fake and I thought his looked the “fakiest” (is that even a word) of them all.

5 comments:

Music Wench said...

His actual signature is incredibly unreadable. LOL

BobbyG said...

So, Music Wench, do any of these look like the real thing?

Music Wench said...

Not really. At least not if the one I believe is real is real. LOL A friend of mine got an autographed DVD at that signing he and Kathryn Erbe did at the NBC store. Now she said he autographed it and she has no reason to lie but hey, you never know. ;)

Eliza said...

I guess one way to check would be to compare it with the one on the scripts that were prizes? Presumably they came direct from the studio....

Or maybe it's just that the more well known he's got the more of a scrawl it's become :-)

val said...

I have a photocopy of a signed script, and can categorically say he separates the V and underlines it.

Unfortunately the signatures run into each other a bit, so I can't state that the letter at the end that looks like a Greek-style E is part of his signature or Courtney Vance's.